the_saurus

The politics thread

Or to put that another way...

If you're wondering why all you're hearing is Corbyn this or Corbyn that heres some of the things the tories don't want to talk about..

Virtually doubling the national debt
The Windrush Scandal
Life expectancies going down
Grenfell
Accident and emergency waiting times are the worst on record
Cutting flood prevention
Increasing tuition fees
Wasting £8 billion preparing for a no deal Brexit
Spending £100m on pointless Brexit ads
Failing to deliver any type of Brexit
Spending £13.8 million on a ferry company with no ferries
Making food banks necessary for many
Refusing to vote against privatising the NHS
Voted against a pay rise for nurses
Cutting police numbers by 21,000
Accepting illegal Russian donations and suppressing reports
Spending £1.2 million on anti Corbyn Facebook propaganda
Promising to build 200,000 houses and actually building none
Austerity policies that have led to the lowest growth since 2010 despite borrowing more in their first 3 years than Labour did in 13
The Dementia Tax
120000 preventable deaths.
Stopping the 'seeing a GP in 48hrs' target
Introducing The Bedroom Tax
Ignoring the Fox Hunting Ban
The Learndirect disaster
Slashing Green subsidies
Scrapping child poverty targets
Universal Credit
Raised retirement age and cut pensions to millions of WASPI women
Reducing the number of beds available for mental health patients

Anyone want to add a few more?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 11/19/2019 at 6:48 PM, Charlie Cheswick said:

Or to put that another way...

If you're wondering why all you're hearing is Corbyn this or Corbyn that heres some of the things the tories don't want to talk about..

Virtually doubling the national debt
The Windrush Scandal
Life expectancies going down
Grenfell
Accident and emergency waiting times are the worst on record
Cutting flood prevention
Increasing tuition fees
Wasting £8 billion preparing for a no deal Brexit
Spending £100m on pointless Brexit ads
Failing to deliver any type of Brexit
Spending £13.8 million on a ferry company with no ferries
Making food banks necessary for many
Refusing to vote against privatising the NHS
Voted against a pay rise for nurses
Cutting police numbers by 21,000
Accepting illegal Russian donations and suppressing reports
Spending £1.2 million on anti Corbyn Facebook propaganda
Promising to build 200,000 houses and actually building none
Austerity policies that have led to the lowest growth since 2010 despite borrowing more in their first 3 years than Labour did in 13
The Dementia Tax
120000 preventable deaths.
Stopping the 'seeing a GP in 48hrs' target
Introducing The Bedroom Tax
Ignoring the Fox Hunting Ban
The Learndirect disaster
Slashing Green subsidies
Scrapping child poverty targets
Universal Credit
Raised retirement age and cut pensions to millions of WASPI women
Reducing the number of beds available for mental health patients

Anyone want to add a few more?

Johnson is a cunt.

Gove is a cunt.

Ress-Mogg is a cunt.

Javid is a cunt.

Raab is a cunt.

Patel is a cunt.

Hancock is a cunt.

I could keep going.......

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Does anyone on here, apart from IKS, actually like Corbyn?

My mate who’s usually Tory has said he’s coming round to him. He always tends to do better when an election is on and he’s our campaigning.

1 hour ago, nottmred said:

I like a lot of his domestic policies and that he seems to be above the negative campaigning that certain other politicians will resort to. However, his lack of clarity over his Brexit position (which I see from tonight's leader's debate has now been spun as his "neutrality" over Brexit 😉 ) infuriates me and I fear will be the issue that costs Labour this election as it alienates remainers and leavers alike.

Cards on the table, if there was no such word as Brexit I'd vote for him (or more precisely for Labour) on December 12th. Unfortunately, Brexit is in our vocabulary and one way or the other needs to be dealt with. I still want to remain, I believe the arguments for remaining have only got stronger as the Brexit "deal" has taken shape. The only mainstream party who unashamedly represent me as a remainer are the Liberal Democrats, which is why I'll be proud to vote for them on December 12th.

The problem for Corbyn is that for every remainer of the same mindset as myself, there are just as many leavers who in another election may have voted Labour but feel they have to vote Conservative or Brexit Party this time round to "get the job done". There is a very real risk that Labour will be, to borrow the title of an old punk song, "Shot by both sides", so to speak.

12 hours ago, nottmred said:

My mate who’s usually Tory has said he’s coming round to him. He always tends to do better when an election is on and he’s our campaigning.

I’m erring on the side of no. He might (or might not have principles), but for me a big part of his problem is the people who surround him and what he seems to let them do. The antisemitism charges won’t seem to go away and he seems to dither on tackling them beyond some vague words when he’s pressed. Plus there are other questionable behaviours being suggested where his momentum group are strong arming their philosophy on the party apparatus. 

Whether he can’t control that or is unwilling to I’m not sure but it doesn’t bode well for if they make it into government.

i still haven’t worked out if he’s even really in charge of that party or another group is. 

Diane Abbott shouldn't be in charge of a pencil case. Everything in one person I despise...the fat mess.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Although to be fair, Diane Abbott is still able to string a sentence together, even if the content is usually utter bollocks, which makes her more competent than this fella, and he's in fucking charge!

methode_times_prod_web_bin_5cfdf284-83b6-11e8-ad58-ae35970199d3.jpg

4 hours ago, leather said:

I’m erring on the side of no. He might (or might not have principles), but for me a big part of his problem is the people who surround him and what he seems to let them do. The antisemitism charges won’t seem to go away and he seems to dither on tackling them beyond some vague words when he’s pressed. Plus there are other questionable behaviours being suggested where his momentum group are strong arming their philosophy on the party apparatus. 

Whether he can’t control that or is unwilling to I’m not sure but it doesn’t bode well for if they make it into government.

i still haven’t worked out if he’s even really in charge of that party or another group is. 

On this antisemitism thing, people keep saying it, but at the same time I haven't seen one fucker give any evidence. 

As for Corbyn, each time he came out with a policy in the last week I was shouting 'why?' at the radio.  Free broadband, the biggest WHY? 

The police force needs sorting, the NHS needs sorting, mental health services need sorting, housing needs sorting, education needs sorting.  Each of these will need massive funding but also the right management and plans in place to make sure any funding is well spent.  You can easily piss billions away and not be much further forward if nothing is being properly run.

I'd still take that chance when balanced against a government who is wilfully smiting parts of the population.  They've spent 9 years deliberately fucking policing, education, housing and the health service up while ensuring wages are as surpressed as possible and now they're promising to put it straight?   All they've got is Brexit and that's a shit idea anyway.  Those cunts can fuck right off. 

With all of that in mind, my vote will be anti-Tory rather than pro-Labour. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, i.k.s said:

Diane Abbott shouldn't be in charge of a pencil case. Everything in one person I despise...the fat mess.

what do you despise about her?

Get Brexit Done is the biggest lie to be painted on a bus since Boris last had a bus.

Even if he gets his majority and the withdrawal agreement through Parliament, we then still need to negotiate our future relationship with the EU. They say we will definitely be out of the EU by 2021, however, that is not enough time to negotiate a deal and there will be further extensions. People claim the Tories are the party of Brexit, however, they have been in power since the referendum and have done nothing but fuck it up.

Since Boris' deal is pretty much the same as May's deal (except instead of having no borders in Ireland there will be two) and he has voted against it twice, I never understand why people believe a word politicians say.

• Upvote 2

I think it is really for Jewish members / MPs of the Labour party to make the assertion on whether anti-Semitism exists.

I know it is easy for Momentum to paint these as ‘right wing smears’ but doesn’t it seem odd that;

Several MPs have quit referencing anti-Semitism as a problem (notably Louise Ellman and Luciana Berger)

The Equalities and Human Rights Commission are investigating the Labour party

The Chief Rabbi is speaking out against the Labour party during a general election

The proportion of Jewish people who support Labour have dived off a cliff (according to yougov)

Would these happen if this wasn’t a problem?

Even if the AS isnt as bad as made out to be, surely any competent leadership would take decisive action to stop this being an issue? 

Why didn’t Labour just adopt the Chakrabarti enquiry findings in full?

Why couldn’t they just wait for more than a few weeks following her report, before giving Chakrabarti a peerage and a place on the Labour front bench?

Why did they make a big song and dance about not accepting the full International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) definition?

Why not just apologise? Others on the front bench have done so. I'm sure it would go a long way if Corbyn did too. 

Edited by Daz

Has there though, this is my point.  Apologising can just be trying to put it to bed.  I just want to know what has been said and done that is anti-semitic.  I've heard people saying it plenty but not seen any evidence.  Has anyone else seen or heard anything? 

Unless criticism of Israel's government counts as anti-semitism and if it does then there's a problem right there.  It's like saying you can't criticise a suicide bomber 'cause that would be Islamophobic or you can't criticise the US government because that would be anti-Christian.

Another problem is that if you cry wolf consistently enough the chances are you'll create proper anti-semitism. 

I'm calling bullshit and dangerous bullshit at that.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

1 hour ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Has there though, this is my point.  Apologising can just be trying to put it to bed.  I just want to know what has been said and done that is anti-semitic.  I've heard people saying it plenty but not seen any evidence.  Has anyone else seen or heard anything? 

Unless criticism of Israel's government counts as anti-semitism and if it does then there's a problem right there.  It's like saying you can't criticise a suicide bomber 'cause that would be Islamophobic or you can't criticise the US government because that would be anti-Christian.

I'm calling bullshit. 

Anti-Semitism was generally not regarded as a big problem in the Labour Party before Jeremy Corbyn's election as leader in September 2015.

Since then, things have changed, with Mr Corbyn and other figures on the left setting a new political direction.

There has been an influx of new members, many of whom are vocal critics of Israel and who believe the UK, along with the US, should be tougher towards Israel, especially regarding its policies towards the Palestinians and its building of settlements in the occupied territories.

The strength of the left's support for Palestinian statehood, which Jeremy Corbyn has championed for decades, contrasts with the more nuanced position taken by many of his predecessors.

As the balance of power within Labour changed after Mr Corbyn's appointment, attention quickly focused on what activists and elected representatives were saying - and had said in the past - on social media and elsewhere about Israel and Jewish people.

There were claims that anti-Semitic tropes were being widely propagated and a number of incidents attracted a great deal of attention.

High-profile suspensions over alleged anti-Semitic comments include MP Naz Shah, the ex-London Mayor Ken Livingstone and MP Chris Williamson, an ally and friend of Mr Corbyn.

In April 2019, the Sunday Times reported that Labour had received 863 complaints against party members, including councillors.

The newspaper claimed leaked e-mails it had seen showed more than half of the cases remained unresolved while there had been no investigation in 28% of them.

It said fewer than 30 people had been expelled while members investigated for posting online comments such as "Heil Hitler" and "Jews are the problem" had not been suspended.

18 minutes ago, Dane B said:

Anti-Semitism was generally not regarded as a big problem in the Labour Party before Jeremy Corbyn's election as leader in September 2015.

Since then, things have changed, with Mr Corbyn and other figures on the left setting a new political direction.

There has been an influx of new members, many of whom are vocal critics of Israel and who believe the UK, along with the US, should be tougher towards Israel, especially regarding its policies towards the Palestinians and its building of settlements in the occupied territories.

The strength of the left's support for Palestinian statehood, which Jeremy Corbyn has championed for decades, contrasts with the more nuanced position taken by many of his predecessors.

As the balance of power within Labour changed after Mr Corbyn's appointment, attention quickly focused on what activists and elected representatives were saying - and had said in the past - on social media and elsewhere about Israel and Jewish people.

There were claims that anti-Semitic tropes were being widely propagated and a number of incidents attracted a great deal of attention.

High-profile suspensions over alleged anti-Semitic comments include MP Naz Shah, the ex-London Mayor Ken Livingstone and MP Chris Williamson, an ally and friend of Mr Corbyn.

In April 2019, the Sunday Times reported that Labour had received 863 complaints against party members, including councillors.

The newspaper claimed leaked e-mails it had seen showed more than half of the cases remained unresolved while there had been no investigation in 28% of them.

It said fewer than 30 people had been expelled while members investigated for posting online comments such as "Heil Hitler" and "Jews are the problem" had not been suspended.

So we're talking a few morons on Facebook.  I thought we were talking about actual Labour politicians. 

God forbid some fucker takes issue with what Boris says let alone Tories on Facebook.  Oh wait, I forgot nobody is willing to hold them to account for anything.  And to be honest, we have free speach, if he wants to describe Muslims as letterboxes, black people having water melon smiles, reinstate suspended Tories as soon as racism claims have been forgotten,  it's up to him. and if people want to agree or not they can hold him to account. 

They could hold him and the Tories to account the same as Labour but nobody building this up gives a shit about racism as the above shows.  Like I said, it's bullshit. 

On 11/24/2019 at 6:37 PM, i.k.s said:

She's a cunt.

I don't know that much about her to be honest. She comes across as a dribbler but I believe she's Oxbridge educated. No idea why they have stuck with her but then again Magic Grandpa is the leader and he was rattling it in the 80's wasn't he?

On 11/24/2019 at 6:37 PM, i.k.s said:

She's a cunt.

Labour appear to have put a gagging order on her for this election campaign. One of the few things I was looking forward to in this election was her putting both feet in it.

17 hours ago, Dane B said:

Labour appear to have put a gagging order on her for this election campaign. One of the few things I was looking forward to in this election was her putting both feet in it.

Her and Mogg have been benched.

On 11/27/2019 at 9:57 PM, Ben said:

I don't know that much about her to be honest. She comes across as a dribbler but I believe she's Oxbridge educated. No idea why they have stuck with her but then again Magic Grandpa is the leader and he was rattling it in the 80's wasn't he?

She lords over a guaranteed seat. Replace her with a labour white man and they'd lose it. Fat racist jabba the hut cunt.

Old Boris refusing to commit to an Andrew Neil interview then. What is it about this bloke that makes him want to hide from proper scrutiny? Say what you like about Corbyn but least he had the bottle to do it. Johnson is just a bluffer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1