the_saurus

The politics thread

I'd be ecstatic if Bozza became pm. I'm so fucked off with politics I believe I could do with a laugh as I can't take it seriously anymore.  I'm looking forward to huge protests by snowflake activists and rioting lefties...hopefully I'll get the chance to 'defend' myself against one of these milkshake throwing tossers. 

2 hours ago, i.k.s said:

I'd be ecstatic if Bozza became pm. I'm so fucked off with politics I believe I could do with a laugh as I can't take it seriously anymore.  I'm looking forward to huge protests by snowflake activists and rioting lefties...hopefully I'll get the chance to 'defend' myself against one of these milkshake throwing tossers. 

If Boris becomes PM then anybody with an ounce of sense should be protesting. What will piss me off is he will stand there claiming the EU referendum is what people voted for whilst not seeing the irony that he was handed his job by 120k Tory zealots. If Boris is the best UK sovereignty can do, give me the EU!

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, i.k.s said:

It will be very serious if that cunt gets into power. I'll likely be protesting about it because I try to retain some sense of giving a fuck.

I would not throw a milkshake at anyone though. Its already clichéd. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, bestwood_red! said:

I’d rather have a bumbling idiot than a terrorist sympathiser. At least we are used to bumbling idiots. 

I don't understand why anyone has to pick one fuckwit over another.  If you know more than the people who are supposed to be leading you it's a problem right?  

Offering them your support just means you deserve the inevitable bumming they'll give you.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

I don't understand why anyone has to pick one fuckwit over another.  If you know more than the people who are supposed to be leading you it's a problem right?  

Offering them your support just means you deserve the inevitable bumming they'll give you.   

I support neither and I’d rather a competent person at the helm but that doesn’t seem to be an option. None will ever get a vote from me. 

• Upvote 1

Watching those drivelling idiots vying for the leadership is abysmal, so is the conduct of the BBC who are clearly on an anti-Boris witch hunt. All of them seem to be advocating for the incompatible aims of no deal Brexit and no border in Ireland. The exception being Rory Stewart who has far too much sense to be elected by the Tories. 

Whether you agree with him or not, at least Farage has some conviction and stands for something and I hope the Brexit Party decimates this shambles of a Tory party.

12 minutes ago, Mr Smith said:

The exception being Rory Stewart who has far too much sense to be elected by the Tories.

Forget what I said about Rory Stewart, he is a drivelling idiot too.

Haha Rory Stewart has made himself look a right twat. Telling the others to drop out this morning so he can have a clear run at Boris and then 12 hours later he comes bottom in a ballot of 5. 

1 hour ago, bestwood_red! said:

Haha Rory Stewart has made himself look a right twat. Telling the others to drop out this morning so he can have a clear run at Boris and then 12 hours later he comes bottom in a ballot of 5. 

He was never going to get anywhere.  To do well as a Tory you've got to evidence that you're willing to eat your own baby to get ahead and burn the poor, preferably in poorly designed tower blocks.  That isn't poor jug eared Rory.

• Upvote 1

Every time Rory Stewart opens his mouth I keep expecting him to say "more cheese grommet"?

I heard someone in the radio the other day, say how much he liked Rory Stewart and how he was a refreshing change... Then he admitted he still wouldn't vote tory in a million years. Says it all really. While he would chime with guardian readers, he would lead to electoral wipe out. 

I'll guess Gove will join Boris in the final two, but it'll be an easy win for BJ. 

Boris should then just do a deal with Farage and call an election. It'd give him the majority needed to get Brexit sorted and for us to get on with our lives

Edited by Daz

The Tories are not going to avoid electoral wipe out whatever they do. The Brexit party will take votes from the leavers, the Lib Dems from the remainers. Boris has no mandate and the numbers don't add up in Parliament.

As somebody who has swung between remain and leave throughout the Brexit process, I genuinely want to know why people think this shit shower that is UK sovereignty is better than the Eurocrats? How is any of the current Tory candidates becoming PM more democratic than the shitty EU system? It's all bollocks.

• Upvote 1

I voted remain for two reasons, firstly that our lot can't be trusted on their own.  Second that the leave campaign was full of shit, the remain was too to be fair but I'm not going to vote to change something on a pack of lies told by a bunch of chancers.  I'm not pro EU but when a bunch of crooks campaign to get us to leave it, I suspect it's because they're up to something crooked.  

It won't end well but when all of our assets are flogged to US interests I'm sure the Nationalists can feel proud of their achievements.  

• Upvote 1

We live in a parliamentary democracy. We have never directly elected the prime minister. We elect MPs. The prime minister is the one who has the support of the majority of MPs in parliament. Simples.

In comparison. Who is going to be the new EU president? How is it going to be decided? Um, well probably in a smoke filled room somewhere… https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-top-jobs-its-gonna-get-ugly/

Boris is going to be great….

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, Daz said:

We live in a parliamentary democracy. We have never directly elected the prime minister. We elect MPs. The prime minister is the one who has the support of the majority of MPs in parliament. Simples.

In comparison. Who is going to be the new EU president? How is it going to be decided? Um, well probably in a smoke filled room somewhere… https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-top-jobs-its-gonna-get-ugly/

Boris is going to be great….

I am aware of how the systems work, however, both are flawed. The question was how is the UK's better than the EU's? It isn't and, like you said, we don't directly elect our PM (we should). British Sovereignty is utter crap and the EU has masked its failings for the past 40-years. There is no appatite in Parliament to reform what is a failed institution and a relic out of place in the modern world.

Your view that Boris is going to be great is not based on any facts, as his only achievement to date is the bikes in London. 

• Upvote 2

One thing that strikes me, whether you agreed with their politics or not, the Conservative leaders of my youth came from humble backgrounds. Margaret Thatcher was the daughter of a grocer, John Major's father was a music hall performer who later started a business manufacturing garden ornaments. Whilst I didn't always agree with their politics, I could somewhat relate to them as my father also ran a small business.

I don't feel I have anything in common with the Conservative leaders of the modern era. They come from backgrounds which are so distant to mine, and I suspect distant to many voters too. David Cameron's father is a stockbroker. Theresa May's father was a clergyman, perhaps not a job which pays a fantastic salary but nonetheless a walk of life which would be distant to many ordinary working people. 

Of the current leadership hopefuls, Boris Johnson is upper class. Jeremy Hunt is the son of an admiral.

It just feels like the Conservatives are moving away from the old image of their leaders being "ordinary lads or lasses done good" to leaders which come from a more privileged, elite backgrounds. Does this give out the message that social mobility is in reverse gear?

Edited by H-Block
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Mr Smith said:

Your view that Boris is going to be great is not based on any facts, as his only achievement to date is the bikes in London. 

He is funny though isn’t he? Hahahaha silly old Boris! 

I must say that even for me the support for Boris is very worrying. Saying that he is not Corbyn so I would still vote conservative

my only hope is that Boris stays true to his word and as I cannot see the EU changing their terms that we leave with no deal because if we stay in past October then the tories are in real trouble 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Mr Smith said:

Those bikes were introduced by Ken Livingston. It just so happened Boris was Mayor by the time the scheme had its first day of operation. Naturally Boris took credit for the work of others.

59 minutes ago, E R said:

I must say that even for me the support for Boris is very worrying. Saying that he is not Corbyn so I would still vote conservative

my only hope is that Boris stays true to his word and as I cannot see the EU changing their terms that we leave with no deal because if we stay in past October then the tories are in real trouble 

and No Deal is likely to tank the economy... it's a shit show, however predicted by many!