the_saurus

The politics thread

8 hours ago, Mr Smith said:

Not sure how we are disagreeing. If there is a no deal, we will have to pay tariffs that we weren't paying before. This will have some economic impact on the UK - although it is speculation as to what extent this will harm the economy.

We're not disagreeing, rather we're covering the argument from a different angle. Brexit will probably define this country and EU. Britain has always been the indicator for EU, being the first to go into / out of recession, or instigating legislation to which affects the citizens. This a critical stage in negations, but fundamentally Parliament, the UK & EU are in a deadlock, unable to find a viable solution. The problem is that MP's & MEP's lack now the experience, up-bringing, common-sense, intelligence, and leadership to actually find an amicable agreement. Instead EU's aim (and have publicly stated) that the UK should be penalised for leaving the 'club' to dissuade other members from leaving the Union. Now we're at an impasse.          

I'm not convinced by the argument that the EU has punished the UK. It is a rules based organization (we helped define those rules - we knew those rules) and EU simply sticks to them as it was always going to do - as we would have expected were it another nation deciding to leave. We knew this before people voted to leave.

Edited by Daz555
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daz555 said:

I'm not convinced by the argument that the EU has punished the UK. It is a rules based organization (we helped define those rules - we knew those rules) and EU simply sticks to them as it was always going to do - as we would have expected were it another nation deciding to leave. We knew this before people voted to leave.

I've always said we should chip in for what outstanding projects we signed up for. Fairs fair.

Comes to something when the naked protesters are the most sensible people in Parliament. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So May's finally reaching out to Corbyn to find an exit deal which will get enough approval in Parliament.

Got customs union written all over it, hasn't it?

On 3/30/2019 at 10:38 AM, i.k.s said:

I don't even know or care what the deal is. Arch Brexiteers voted to leave. Out. No deal. What part of that are you struggling with? 

ivJFfuV.jpg

• Haha 1

Fucking hell, Corbyn has won. May has resulted in having to beg him for help.

Wasn’t that long ago right wing newspapers were calling her the new Iron Lady and folks were lapping it up 😂😂😂

If you genuinely believe people listen to politicians and what they promise then you’re very naive. Remainers always bang on about that bus but most people weren’t even aware of it until after the fact. I certainly wasn’t. Bob Geldof was shouting from his boat that a vote to leave means starving children on every street corner. The exaggeration and myths have come from both sides. The real answer is nobody knows what the affect will be. Are Volkswagen going to stop selling cars here? Of course not, we are the biggest importers of VAG group cars in the world. Is every penny saved from EU membership going to go towards the NHS? Absolutely not. 

40 minutes ago, bestwood_red! said:

The exaggeration and myths have come from both sides. The real answer is nobody knows what the affect will be. 

Exactly.

So ask the people to vote on something when we have the facts. Don't base it on belief, lies or simple blind faith. I'm all for the discussion and I do feel we should limit immigration from both the EU and outside.

The first thing to do - considering she'd fucked her majority - was try to get cross party support but May was too busy thinking she was the reincarnation of Thatcher to do that. 

Now she has absolutley no bargaining power and I'd wager this will fall on its arse too.  Mostly because her own side will down vote whatever she comes back with on general principle. 

11 hours ago, Ben said:

Exactly.

So ask the people to vote on something when we have the facts. Don't base it on belief, lies or simple blind faith. I'm all for the discussion and I do feel we should limit immigration from both the EU and outside.

I’m not against a second vote. The way the EU has behaved just makes me even more convinced it’s a self serving old boys club. 

The way that our own representatives have acted though is terrifying. 

11 hours ago, bestwood_red! said:

I’m not against a second vote. The way the EU has behaved just makes me even more convinced it’s a self serving old boys club. 

How have they behaved? We're the ones reneging on the agreement. They have come back with a deal they're prepared to accept which is of course worse than the one we currently have.

Anyway "Sport are troopz" you traitor 😚

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:54 PM, Charlie Cheswick said:

The first thing to do - considering she'd fucked her majority - was try to get cross party support but May was too busy thinking she was the reincarnation of Thatcher to do that. 

Now she has absolutley no bargaining power and I'd wager this will fall on its arse too.  Mostly because her own side will down vote whatever she comes back with on general principle. 

Cross party support? How? The majority of labour MP's are Pro-Corbynite, or Blairite Remain supporters who are mainly young middle-class women who have never faced the detrimental effects of poverty, nor the struggle or hardship of daily life. With today's ME ME ME society what we're seeing is a class divide, not by classic lines but rather the new influential leftist, Politically Correct, SJW crap emphasized by Momentum. Their mantra 'Conservatism' and Capitalism is pure Evil. Honestly how can the Government communicate or trust Jeremy Corbyn a staunch Leaver, now a reformed Remainer who continually demands a new election or second referendum literally ignoring the majority of grass-roots working class or retired who voted to leave the EU? 

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, Ben said:

Exactly.

Totally Agree Ben but how do you get the facts when the majority of media is biased or mainly against Brexit? Continually we're seeing coverage by BBC, and Sky News invite Labour MP's, Pro-Remainers, Second Referendum supporters to discuss their opinions without being interrogated, questioned or quizzed about their arguments. The only presenter that takes no nonsense is Andrew Neill but he's being pensioned off and being replaced by the likes of Laura Kuenssberg whose disdain for the government is plain to see. Unfortunately the majority of online unpaid articles from the Tabloid Press that discuss Brexit are predominantly Anti-Brexit - Huffington Post, Independent, I, Mirror, The Guardian, and Evening Standard so how do you make an unbiased, opinion when presented by one-side of the argument?

A fantastic example of how idiotic the Brexit coverage by the BBC is when the Presenters, Commentators, Second Referendum and Pro-Remainers keep remarking about how Six million people have signed the Petition to discuss in Parliament to stay in the EU. There is no independent verification of who signed the Parliamentary Petition, so anybody in the world can sign the online document. I.E. sample 5926 is  Mr Jacob Rees-Mogg MP!  

4 hours ago, nemesiz said:

Cross party support? How? The majority of labour MP's are Pro-Corbynite, or Blairite Remain supporters who are mainly young middle-class women who have never faced the detrimental effects of poverty, nor the struggle or hardship of daily life. With today's ME ME ME society what we're seeing is a class divide, not by classic lines but rather the new influential leftist, Politically Correct, SJW crap emphasized by Momentum. Their mantra 'Conservatism' and Capitalism is pure Evil. Honestly how can the Government communicate or trust Jeremy Corbyn a staunch Leaver, now a reformed Remainer who continually demands a new election or second referendum literally ignoring the majority of grass-roots working class or retired who voted to leave the EU? 

Totally Agree Ben but how do you get the facts when the majority of media is biased or mainly against Brexit? Continually we're seeing coverage by BBC, and Sky News invite Labour MP's, Pro-Remainers, Second Referendum supporters to discuss their opinions without being interrogated, questioned or quizzed about their arguments. The only presenter that takes no nonsense is Andrew Neill but he's being pensioned off and being replaced by the likes of Laura Kuenssberg whose disdain for the government is plain to see. Unfortunately the majority of online unpaid articles from the Tabloid Press that discuss Brexit are predominantly Anti-Brexit - Huffington Post, Independent, I, Mirror, The Guardian, and Evening Standard so how do you make an unbiased, opinion when presented by one-side of the argument?

A fantastic example of how idiotic the Brexit coverage by the BBC is when the Presenters, Commentators, Second Referendum and Pro-Remainers keep remarking about how Six million people have signed the Petition to discuss in Parliament to stay in the EU. There is no independent verification of who signed the Parliamentary Petition, so anybody in the world can sign the online document. I.E. sample 5926 is  Mr Jacob Rees-Mogg MP!  

You missed my point.  Your team were on about how they were going to get a great deal and all that without figuring out how to get it past the House.  A bit like how they haven't figured out how to get past the Irish border issue.  All things that should have been sorted at the start of the process.  

Your thoughts on Corbyn or leaving the EU are neither here nor there, to get something through the Commons when you haven't got a majority needs cross party support, especially when you haven't got the DUP's support because you haven't bothered to sort the Irish border issue.  

For those reasons May should have sorted her own house before going to the EU to negotiate what she didn't know would work back here.  This means that she's now in the position of the last chance saloon and having no bargaining power whatsoever and still having to contend with things that should have been the first things that she sorted.

It seemed glaringly obvious to me from the start, in fact, I remember saying she needed to meet with the other leaders and bang an agreement out as soon as the referendum was done.  That would have been more productive and as a leave voter I would be more concerned about this level of ineptitude than going online and crying about how people don't support your crap process that was mismanaged by the PM.

• Like 1

May is now saying that if they can't reach a compromise with labour the outcome is that there may not be a brexit at all. Bitch 

On 4/11/2019 at 8:07 AM, Mr Smith said:

Six more months of paralysis for the country. British Sovereignty is an utter farce. 

As a remain voter, Tory incompetence has been the only glimmer of hope since the vote in 2016.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:07 AM, Mr Smith said:

Six more months of paralysis for the country. British Sovereignty is an utter farce. 

I'm a remainer. Only because I'm concerned about any impact to my business (which has now been affected) due to corporations moving HQ's from the UK to mainland Europe. I'm all for controlled immigration.

What baffles me is staunch leavers don't have a plan for trade deals post-Brexit. 

This seems to sum up the whole plan for leaving.  WATCH: No-deal Brexiteer James Delingpole

I hope you've all done your duty today and voted in the local elections? You've got until 10pm if you haven't got round to it yet......😀

I'd be interested in hearing how people voted. I'm a big believer in voting according to local issues and not using local elections to support or protest against what might be happening in national politics at the time. Me, for the past few years at local elections I've voted for a coalition of independent candidates who are committed to standing up to the greedy bastard developers who want to turn my nice green village into a housing estate. I've continued my support again today.

I voted for anybody who wasn't Labour, the Tories or UKIP. Unfortunately that meant the Lib Dems!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Mr Smith said:

I voted for anybody who wasn't Labour, the Tories or UKIP. Unfortunately that meant the Lib Dems!

:lol: Sounds like there were quite a few others up and down the country who shared your thought process!

My anti-development at all costs candidates both got in where I live and their coalition took control of the council from the Conservatives! That'll be partly down to people like myself who don't want every blade of grass built on and partly down to people like yourself wanting to send a message to the Conservatives and Labour over how they've conducted themselves over Brexit.

I'm thrilled, I feel proud to have done my bit to defend the area I live from "developers" who want to turn it into something I don't recognise.

Didn’t vote this time round. I can’t vote for a pro-brexit Labour. Or a Labour Party led by a racist. 

The Ashfield Independents have absolutely smashed everyone around here. No doubt full of good local people but is led by the cretin Jason Zadrozny who was booted out of the Lib Dems when he was charged with child sex offences.

Edited by nottmred

I think Labour and the Tories are now going to get the Brexit deal through at all costs to avoid the EU elections. These local elections gave remainers and protest voters other parties to latch onto, but there wasn't really anybody for the unhappy leave voters. The EU elections will have the Brexit party who will also take swathes of votes from the two main parties.

4 hours ago, Mr Smith said:

I think Labour and the Tories are now going to get the Brexit deal through at all costs to avoid the EU elections. These local elections gave remainers and protest voters other parties to latch onto, but there wasn't really anybody for the unhappy leave voters. The EU elections will have the Brexit party who will also take swathes of votes from the two main parties.

Interesting how Labour leadership and Tories have spun the vote for remain parties in the local elections as a "call to get on with Brexit".

Nope. Not even fucking close.