the_saurus

The politics thread

I see that spiteful **** IDS has resigned. About six years too late.

Looks like he wants to take other down with him.

The same cunts that are running the country now will be the same cunts running it in the event of an exit when we will need unity clever negotiators deal makers etc etc etc . What a fucking mess . Wheres all those cunts that voted tory on here giving me some kind of hope for the future .

The same cunts that are running the country now will be the same cunts running it in the event of an exit when we will need unity clever negotiators deal makers etc etc etc . What a fucking mess . Wheres all those cunts that voted tory on here giving me some kind of hope for the future .

The negotiation won't be down to the Tories though. It will be down to the civil service crew.

I didn't vote Tory but there is hope. I've pointed out a site on this thread where a bloke has written and presented an option. It's the sort of stuff that makes watching paint dry thrilling, but that's the point he's been banging on about for a while now - it's complex stuff but he says it's the stuff that will need addressing. It's for this reason he's been slating Farage and the other out crew because they haven't mentioned it and are acting like its something they don't need to think about.They're part of a new group campaigning for out called The Leave Alliance. There's a rumour knocking around that this document is circulating around the civil service amongst those who will be responsible for those negotiations.

If the main document is a pain in the arse they've summarised it in a 48 page booklet.

In it they're talking about a phased exit so we can use existing agreements that the EU have already signed up to to conclude the Article 50 negotiations in the two year period and keep things stable and able to access the EEA.

It also goes into all the rules and regulations, most of which are set at a level above the EU. It's there you learn that Norway effectively has more clout than Britain at the negotiating table because we are only one part of the EU.

Here's the other bit though. Getting out is only the first bit of it. As well as improving trading with the world etc it forms the basis of something else it talks about starting the ball rolling about returning power to the people to yank on the chain of those in Westminster to remind them who they work for.

So there are options for coming out safely and securely and getting more of a grip on our own country again. I think if anything the greater uncertainty is around staying in. Where the EU is now is not where it will be in 20 or 30 years time. If it doesn't collapse under its own stupidity and world events, they'll be well on their way to showing us what they really meant with their phrase ever greater Union and I don't think any of us will like it one bit - only by then it will be too late.

• Upvote 1

What a shambles this is. The withdrawal agreement isn’t perfect but it does deliver on the referendum result. We should just get on with it and move onto discussing the trading relationship. At the moment I struggle to see where the country goes from here except further humiliation.

As someone who voted to leave, the rejected deal on the table was probably the best deal we are likely to get. This is down to mistakes being made quite early on in the negotiation process (the principle of the backstop being agreed before trade talks had begun and the fact that we have never made any proper planning for ‘no deal’ means that we are right where the EU wants us) but we can’t really do much about that now. Who can blame the EU for wanting to negotiate the most advantageous terms possible? There has been no clarity from the government about what it actually wants our future relationship to be. There has never been enough push back.

No doubt parliament will take no deal off the table to night. That feels like it would be a massive mistake. If we’re not prepared to start trading on WTO terms then there is no incentive for the EU to make any further concessions. They will know what we will fold at the last minute like we’ve done at every step of the way.

Not sure about what the next steps / options are. It feels like there doesn’t seem to be a majority in parliament for anything and no type of deal that the conservatives can get through just on their own. A general election may well be the only way through the mess.

• Upvote 1

How I see it is, we absolutely have to have a phased exit but the trouble is almost everyone in Parliament is a fuckwit who won't give an inch to help the process along. 

The trick is to take whatever May brings back, who cares, you get what you're given at this stage and then in the next year or two negotiate what relationship you want with the EU, you aren't going to get it the minute you leave, no way would they give us whatever we want right now.

What we've got are morons on both sides still digging their heels in 'cause they aren't going to get everything they want, well kids, that's how life works. 

I'd like to think Daz that an Election would sort it out but it won't cause everyone at the head of each party is a scoundrel. 

Unless we get the chance to leave Westminster while we're at it, this won't sort itself out any time soon.

Can anyone else shed any light on this Bloody Sunday stuff?

Thinking about the Good Friday agreement, every murderer going got released.  With that in mind, why are people about to get prosecuted and potentially sent to prison?  If that happens do we get to send all the torturers and bombers back to prison?

27 minutes ago, Ben said:

Who'd have thought Brexit would be a shambles eh?

I cannot believe that so called intelligent people have devised this set up of cross party voting on the deal.

It's perfectly clear that Corbyn, and his cronies, want a General Election out of this. If May would have come back from Brussels with a deal to beat all deals, Labour MP's would have still voted against it to try and force through an election. Corbyn doesn't give a shit about the Country, it's people, nor it's financial welfare, he's just using Brexit as a tool to depose the Tory's. He's a first class cunt.

Isn't there an old law that allows Queenie to step in, charge the fucking lot of them with treason, and off with their heads?

44 minutes ago, Dane B said:

I cannot believe that so called intelligent people have devised this set up of cross party voting on the deal.

It's perfectly clear that Corbyn, and his cronies, want a General Election out of this. If May would have come back from Brussels with a deal to beat all deals, Labour MP's would have still voted against it to try and force through an election. Corbyn doesn't give a shit about the Country, it's people, nor it's financial welfare, he's just using Brexit as a tool to depose the Tory's. He's a first class cunt.

Isn't there an old law that allows Queenie to step in, charge the fucking lot of them with treason, and off with their heads?

My problem with this has been from day one we'd only get a worse deal than we already had. Yes there may be fewer brown looking people entering  but economically we'd be worse off. I have no issue with changing the EU or maybe getting a real plan together and then departing but it wasn't done like that. Farage, Banks and all his cronies should be held accountable as well as parliament. I've never known such a week government and opposition. 

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

My problem with this has been from day one we'd only get a worse deal than we already had. Yes there may be fewer brown looking people entering  but economically we'd be worse off. I have no issue with changing the EU or maybe getting a real plan together and then departing but it wasn't done like that. Farage, Banks and all his cronies should be held accountable as well as parliament. I've never known such a week government and opposition. 

We should have all realised this was going to turn out shit once Cameron jumped ship, after promising he'd stay on as PM and fight for what the people wanted. I do feel a little sorry for May. She was, and is, the scapegoat who was chucked in at the deep end, and will always be known as the biggest fuck up of a PM ever.

I think May is a complete moron but what she's coming back with is most likely what anyone would come back with.  Her problem is communication - because she's a complete moron.  She should be saying this is what you're getting, like it or lump it.  We'll negotiate what we want later.  We aren't going to get a better deal and you'll accept what we have because we need a phased exit.  We'll negotiate how we want to deal with the EU later.

Instead she's going with line of accept my deal or it'll get really bad.  Pretty much the same way the remain campaign fought the referendum, it didn't work then and won't now. 

Whatever Corbyn wants or says is irrelevant because he has got as much control over his own party as May has over hers.  Neither of them could take charge of a classroom let alone a political party or a country. 

Which makes Corbyn angling for an election hilarious 'cause he's got as much chance of winning one as Michael Foot, if he was exhumed and re-elected as leader.  It takes a massive amount of ineptitude on his part to still not be the Prime Minister despite the ineptitude of what's in power. 

What a shit show the pair of them have created.

It is sly skullduggery of the highest order. You have a PM who wants to remain, who organised a cabinet of three staunch leavers to deliver brexit, they all jacked when they realised she wasn't going to agree with any proposals they had. That right there was the monumental fuck up. She should've let them get on with it. She's a fucking traitor. I hope she treads on an upturned plug first thing in the morning every day for the rest of her sorry life, the half deflated balloon faced giraffe.

1 hour ago, i.k.s said:

It is sly skullduggery of the highest order. You have a PM who wants to remain, who organised a cabinet of three staunch leavers to deliver brexit, they all jacked when they realised she wasn't going to agree with any proposals they had. That right there was the monumental fuck up. She should've let them get on with it. She's a fucking traitor. I hope she treads on an upturned plug first thing in the morning every day for the rest of her sorry life, the half deflated balloon faced giraffe.

She's played a blinder if that was her plan all along, however I don't believe she's that clever. Weird odious woman who allegedly covered up for her fiddling Father.

Parliament has voted against May's deal.

It has has voted against no deal.

It has also voted against a second referendum.

That must pave the way for progressive talks on alternative options such as leaving the EU but staying in the Single Market, Norway model, Canada +++ etc etc..........oh wait, no, they've just voted to to gag themselves from debating any of that either!

Gentlemen.......Parliament has voted resoundingly to tell us what it doesn't want but has also voted to prevent itself from telling us what it does want. This Parliament has shown itself up to be dysfunctional.

Genuinely think the only viable solutions are either Parliament doing the honourable thing in dissolving itself and holding a new general election to elect a Parliament that might be capable of solving this mess or simply admitting there is such a lack of consensus that we revoke Article 50, send Barnier a crate of wine and a note to say sorry for wasting his time and forget any of this sorry mess ever happened.