21 hours ago, colin said:

It's another sign of our fucked up politically correct society ..  Meantime every week in London at least one youngster dies from stab or gunshot wounds and no one is arrested......  So , we can assume a cardboard box is more important to the liberal brigade than young lives !!!

I've been saying for some time that most things that are peddled in the media are there to divert people away from anything the should give a fuck about.  Turning stuff around like knife crime takes commitment and resources though so don't expect a change in that.  It's apparently better to spend all the money on locking people up for successive periods over their lives than sorting them as teenagers. 

What do we reckon to the Brexit deal, then? I'd be all for a second referendum myself, but I have to say remaining in the customs union minus free movement gives both Remain and Leave people a little bit of what they want. Constitutionally it does present the issue of having to follow certain EU laws without having a say in how they're made. But putting flag waving and arguments on sovereignty to one side, given that EU laws are often better for ordinary people than domestic laws, is that actually as big a loss as some are making out?

DUP reportedly not happy with the deal, though. The view to seems to be this deal won't get through Parliament......then what?

Reports now than enough Tory MP’s are willing to give a vote of no confidence in May. The beginning of the end of her distractions reign...

8 hours ago, nottmred said:

Reports now than enough Tory MP’s are willing to give a vote of no confidence in May. The beginning of the end of her distractions reign...

Who, or what, though, would replace her? Johnson? Rees-Mogg? Just been reading up and the process is MPs would have 14 days to form a new government, this could involve a cross party allegiance of MPs who want to see Brexit through teaming up to run the country. Not only would that deliver a harder Brexit than May is offering, but it could conceivably shatter the Conservative and Labour parties as we know them.

I'm no Tory voter but is any of the above actually preferable to dear old Theresa......?

I voted Leave. Never expected it to happen even after the Leave vote won purely because its every politicians dream to get on the EU gravy train. Still don’t think it will happen either. 

As for the leaders it’s a pretty shit bunch to pick from. May isn’t up to the job and I feel for her a little bit, she looks like a rabbit in the headlights constantly. Corbyn and Abbott leading makes my skin crawl, imagine Diane Abbott being the deputy leader of the country! 

We are getting in to the same mess the Americans did where the two choices are equally terrifying. 

3 hours ago, H-Block said:

Who, or what, though, would replace her? Johnson? Rees-Mogg? Just been reading up and the process is MPs would have 14 days to form a new government, this could involve a cross party allegiance of MPs who want to see Brexit through teaming up to run the country. Not only would that deliver a harder Brexit than May is offering, but it could conceivably shatter the Conservative and Labour parties as we know them.

I'm no Tory voter but is any of the above actually preferable to dear old Theresa......?

I tell you what I would love Rees-Mogg to become Tory leader. He would be rejected by the electorate. Even Corybn would beat him.

Are you sure that is the process? I just presumed there would be a Tory leadership contest?

2 hours ago, bestwood_red! said:

I voted Leave. Never expected it to happen even after the Leave vote won purely because its every politicians dream to get on the EU gravy train. Still don’t think it will happen either. 

As for the leaders it’s a pretty shit bunch to pick from. May isn’t up to the job and I feel for her a little bit, she looks like a rabbit in the headlights constantly. Corbyn and Abbott leading makes my skin crawl, imagine Diane Abbott being the deputy leader of the country! 

We are getting in to the same mess the Americans did where the two choices are equally terrifying. 

I take your point but Abbot isn't deputy mate - it's Tom Watson. He's alright I reckon.

Raab the first the go then. He lasted long 😂😂

EDIT: McVey has also resigned know. Rats deserting the ship.

Edited by nottmred

Sewer rats looking out for themselves as opposed to the country 

no one has a better alternative plan - it is just easier to find fault with the current one 

1 hour ago, E R said:

Sewer rats looking out for themselves as opposed to the country 

no one has a better alternative plan - it is just easier to find fault with the current one 

There is though. It’s called EFTA. It’s been staring her in the face but she has been more worried about surviving tomorrow’s headlines than actually getting the real job done.

I never thought we'd get a second referendum but now I'm not sure. I don't see another way forward out of this mess the Tories have landed us with.

5 hours ago, nottmred said:

I take your point but Abbot isn't deputy mate - it's Tom Watson. He's alright I reckon.

Shit sorry you’re right. Watson is ok. Abbots shadow chancellor isn’t she? 

13 minutes ago, bestwood_red! said:

Shit sorry you’re right. Watson is ok. Abbots shadow chancellor isn’t she? 

Shadow Home Secretary....god knows what would be worse :D

1 hour ago, nottmred said:

May to hold a press conference inside Downing Street at 5pm. Possible resignation?

I thought she would. Should have known better.

I read through the first 100-pages of the withdrawal agreement - pretty impenetrable and per most EU legislation. I think people seem to disregard that this is dealing with the "divorce" aspect of leaving whilst we sort out a trade agreement. It isn't great, but nobody has yet suggested a credible alternative.

1 hour ago, Mr Smith said:

I read through the first 100-pages of the withdrawal agreement - pretty impenetrable and per most EU legislation. I think people seem to disregard that this is dealing with the "divorce" aspect of leaving whilst we sort out a trade agreement. It isn't great, but nobody has yet suggested a credible alternative.

It’s the best possible deal that can be achieved. Which shows exactly what a bad idea this all is.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, E R said:

I Hope there is another referendum as there will be riots 👍

An overwhelming majority of "rioting age" people voted to Remain (71% of 18-24 year olds), and 82% of 16-17 years olds declared they would have voted Remain had they been allowed the vote. 60% of 50 to 64 year olds voted to leave as did 64% of those aged 65+.

Against that demographic, a few far-right nutters aside, it seems your rioters would be Linda the 62 year old part time supermarket checkout lady from Boston and retired Peter from the pigeon club. Stay safe, everyone!

• Upvote 1

I doubt the current agreement as it stands will get through parliament and it feels like something needs to change. That could be a new prime minister, May negotiating a new agreement with EU or maybe another public vote (GE or Referendum).

My preferred option would be the second option. I think if there was significant movement on the backstop at the EU summit next week then it could squeeze through parliament. There would need to be a change to how NI is treated seperately to the rest of the UK, as well as a more detailed way of how Britain can leave the backstop (effectively in a unilateral way)

Hopefully the backstop will become irrelevant. If we sign a big trade deal then there would be no need for it. The danger is that the EU will just be happy for us to remain in the backstop for the rest of time. Norway and Turkey are both in a similar position in the belief that they were only supposed to be temporary arrangements.

Not sure that a second referendum would lead to riots but I don't see how it can be the answer. It may be the simple solution to reverse the vote now (which would be by no means a full gone conclusion) but it would just be kicking the 'can' down the road. The 'can' being people's concerns about the lack of democracy in the EU, concerns over freedom of movement, concerns over ever closer union, concerns over the EU army, future expansion plans and ECJ overreach.

If the result was reversed now then we would see the end of the conservative party with an even more eurosceptic party replacing them. It would be inevitable that we would leave in the future at some point.

The EU needs to change. If it doesn't then Italy, Greece, France and others will be joining us on the other side soon.

Edited by Daz

On 11/9/2018 at 12:57 PM, Danny said:

Agreed. Sue Perkins is the absolute worst for me though. The least funny human on the planet. 

Another person who steals a living is Peter Kay - he hasn’t done any new material for 10 years and tonight they have a “comedy shuffle” of of him doing that transvestite Geraldine 

it was on in 2008 and the fucking BBC have it on to go against I’m a celebrity 

it was that spoof of the X factor / pop star thing - it was complete shit the first time round 

Edited by E R