At what point in time did the meaning of gay change from being happy to being homo?

My mate Bummer will explain.

May 9, 1959

May 9, 1959 ^_^

I looked this date up and it don't mention it .

That's my Birthday Andy yer dopey git.

Very clever Art. :lol:

I was going to accuse Charlie Cheswick of setting up Bummer as an AE, but he's got Bummer as his friend as well.

you know what, these days you don't hear of nearly as many people getting run over

when we was growing up on our estate their was always people in casts with arms and legs broken and they would say - yeah they got run over

and most of the time they would say they was waiting for a compensation payment. I remember spending all sumer with this semi-mong (after the accident as he landed on his nut) on the promise he would buy me an Ellesse sweatband. he never came through with it - nada

but you don't hear of it as much these days. it must be that brakes and street crossings are better

And its nearly always pakistani's in shithole lancashire towns who's kids get wiped out in fires....

Hardly ever get fires here...all up north.

Edited by i.k.s

:D That's true about the getting run over. When I was at school people got run over all the time, there were always people with broken limbs and notices being read about like "careful on such and such road, someone got knocked down yesterday". At least three in my form got knocked off their bikes and were well pleased about it because they got compensation, and I saw two kids get hit by cars. The first time was one of my first days at Secondary School and I remember I was quite freaked out about it and was wandering round in a kind of daze for a bit. The second time I was hardened to the sight and just carried on like it was an every day event, which it more or less was.

Maybe it's just because I'm not at school so don't hear about this stuff anymore but it does seem like a much rarer occurrence. Maybe some of the younger people on here could confirm if it's still as popular as it used to be? :)

Edited by Art Vandelay

My wife alerted me to it and we ended up laughing about it. She said on her estate in Canning Town it was quite trendy to have a limp and a turned in foot as it meant you had a few quid coming. So once she actually did it and told all her mates she had been knocked over and a pay out was en route and would take them all over the lido lolololol

I was driving home from my oldmans and a kid ran infront of me and I hit her . it was before mobile phones but luckily someone in a shop rang the coppers and ambulance . I had a sheepskin coat in the car and covered her up with it to keep her warm , she was alright but they took her to the hosptal just to check her out , the cops checked my car out and gave me a breathalyser all ok , The next day I found out the kids address and went round to see if she was ok .Her Mams bloke had a go at me but I let it ride , the mam said it was not my fault the girl had said she just ran infront of me . I gave the kid 50 quid for her pain. never got me sheepskin back either.

Next day I was telling the mother inlaw about it ,and she said she had been in a shop and the little girl was treating all her brothers and sisters to chocolate and pop and the other kids were saying they wished it was them that had got run over. I.ll tell you this after the accident for months Icould not get it out my mind and to this day still drive slow.

You are right what you say about kids getting runover . I put it down to nobody walks anymore My own grandkids go every where by car .not sure if its a bad thing or a good thing .

To be honest mate kids don't want to do anything out side these days

When we was kids, filling the squash bottle up with water when it was low and a football would be all we needed from ten in the morning to ten at night. I remember being so hungry I would run in and eat me tea in about two minutes flat so I could go back out and get on with the football

My kids are only 5 and they joined a little football coaching thing. It is all I can do to get them of their poxy iPads to go for an hour a week. We now have had to limit it to half hour before school and half hour after.

If you get a chance look at this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HUgv5MDF0cQ

It is so true it is fucking scary

Road safety is a lot better. Most roads have crossings or traffic calming measures. Maybe kids stop in more now, avoiding pedophiles and playing on their games consoles.

At what point in time did the meaning of gay change from being happy to being homo?

Late 19th century was when it started to take hold.

Anyone on here bet on the Horses? I opened a bet fair account recently just for the national , the missus and kids all picked a horse and since then I have been picking the odd horse, mildly successful my account is in profit . But I talk to folk in the pub and they all seem to be doing shit hot at it . Is there a method?.

Maybe you shouldn't be giving five year olds I pads then

we don't all have such wonderful events on our doorstep at the weekends do we

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21804:proud-as-punch&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21616:music-mongrels-state-to-play-in-westport&catid=52:going-out&Itemid=146

I think the point I was trying to make is that even adults are guilty of sitting on their phones. on the tube each morning the whole carriage is sitting on some form of device be it phone, ipad, kindle

by the way I will be checking Mondays paper hoping this clown has fallen and broken his neck

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21823:westport-man-to-climb-the-reek-for-brain-tumour-ireland&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

"WELL-KNOWN Super Valu Westport employee and Westport Utd soccer coach and administrator Kenneth Gannon"

:lmaosmiley: I reckon Kenneth wrote this article himself personally

sweet baby Jesus and the orphans

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21823:westport-man-to-climb-the-reek-for-brain-tumour-ireland&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

"It is believed that the car, which turned out to have been stolen in Kilmeena between 1am and 6.30am that morning, had run out of petrol, forcing the thieves to push it."

I actually read this and think some people should not be entitled to live

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19760:sun-shines-in-ballyglass-at-ploughing-championship&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

"Beyond the hedge Peter and Frances McHugh were busy buttering bread and wedging it tight with rich slivers of beef and ham as Rory plied the patrons with copious cups of hot tea to wash the generous fare down"

"Inside the gate a man with a model railway and beyond him the groans of tug-o-war teams could be heard in Newbrook, Robeen and beyond as they dragged each other on the end of a thick rope."

"But tradition was parked behind him too in the form of a William McHale lorry. Or ‘Billy McHale’ as he was more affectionately known and the man who hauled the humble potato down Mayo boreens Walter Raleigh couldn’t get to."

"As one man remarked, “even if the ploughing couldn’t get them out today, the weather would anyway.”

Even reading it annoys me. I would honestly love ebola to land there and wipe the whole place out

Edited by E R