i.k.s

Reasons why you HATE the modern game...

You certainly are one "Disturbed" individual and probably a concern to many.

Yes I am. It's not an accolade that came easily. I had to work for it.

Went non league again Tuesday night and yesterday. Tuesday v Woking, you know, the side that knocked the mighty Nottingham Forest out of the Johnstone paint trophy, two sending offs and a 95th minute winner. Yesterday, v Chester, a complete and utter battering of the Chester goal only to be denied time and again by the heroics of their 'keeper. Eventually beaten by a 70th minute penalty. No queuing at the bar, walking about behind the goal on the terrace and meeting with your mates and having a great laugh. All for approximately £4 a game. The football league can do one.

I don't hate this...

http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/oxford-united-turnbull-3012312.aspx

My old college mate Greig Box has just been appointed Oxford United's managing director. A bit left field, he did journalism at college and got a job at The Daily Mirror which he ended up losing in the scandal a couple of years ago - was found not guilty though late last year. He was writing to me asking for contacts to start working for himself after that so from being on his arse to this is some achievement. He's always been over the top with supporting Oxford so dead pleased for him.

I don't hate this...

http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/oxford-united-turnbull-3012312.aspx

My old college mate Greig Box has just been appointed Oxford United's managing director. A bit left field, he did journalism at college and got a job at The Daily Mirror which he ended up losing in the scandal a couple of years ago - was found not guilty though late last year. He was writing to me asking for contacts to start working for himself after that so from being on his arse to this is some achievement. He's always been over the top with supporting Oxford so dead pleased for him.

If you speak to him ask if he knows Stewart Donald. He is Eastleigh's chairman & has close links with Oxford United.

If you speak to him ask if he knows Stewart Donald. He is Eastleigh's chairman & has close links with Oxford United.

I'll ask him. I don't know if he's started yet though so he probably doesn't.

And just as we reach the climax of the season the top two leagues come to a stop for two weeks so their players can fly off round the world playing some meaningless friendly games :thumbsdown_still:

Drew 0-0 at Halifax last night ffs! 1 point off Braintree now. Be like a bloody cup final Saturday. Decent it is, better than that shite Fawaz presides over by a fucking mile.

Edited by i.k.s

I've got no recollection of Tranmere being relegated from the League. I thought they were still in the third division.

I had the same thing earlier in the season when I saw them in the conference or whatever it's called now. Doesn't seem long ago they were in the Championship playoffs :worried_anim:

This Leicester title win is getting on my tits, not from the perspective of them winning it, but from the commentators. The got a bit giddy a bit early and now they're struggling to talk it up in new and ever more exciting ways. They said it was great last time they opened their mouth and now it has to be even greater than that now they said something again.

Last night on match of the day? They go a goal up and he says something along the lines of "that Hollywood movie about Leicester city and Jamie Vardy looks definite now after that"

What a fucking drama queen.

I've always thought that commentators seemed to strive for that immortal quote...like "they think it's all over" and often end up sounding like a knob. It's like they think of some phrases before a game just in case certain things happen.

When he was alive my grandad used to hate modern commentary as they often let whole passages of play happen without comment. I'd never noticed as I supposed I'd grown up with it but now it's blatant. Then you have commentators like Tyler, Tyldesley and Fletcher telling the pundit what he's seen. You are there to say what is happening and the ex-pro is there to say why now shut the fuck up.

Watching the Sunday supplement this morning on sky sports and the chief football writers in this country came to these conclusions:

Sturridge should start the Euros ahead of Vardy and Kane.

Rooney has to start, he's England's most talented player.

Even if he hasn't played all season Wilshire has to go as he's too good to leave out.

Sometimes you have to wonder if these "experts" and pundits are watching a different game to what everyone else is watching.

Watching the Sunday supplement this morning on sky sports and the chief football writers in this country came to these conclusions:

Sturridge should start the Euros ahead of Vardy and Kane.

Rooney has to start, he's England's most talented player.

Even if he hasn't played all season Wilshire has to go as he's too good to leave out.

Sometimes you have to wonder if these "experts" and pundits are watching a different game to what everyone else is watching.

Think they're just trying to look knowledgable knowing that those are the decisions that Negative Roy will be making with his squad, they're probably right too but they missed out Walcott who, even after his shit season, will probably still be in the squad ahead of more deserving wingers.

I've always thought that commentators seemed to strive for that immortal quote...like "they think it's all over" and often end up sounding like a knob. It's like they think of some phrases before a game just in case certain things happen.....

I hadn't really thought about it but you're right, that is what they're after. It's always better to just react in the moment, like Tyler's "Agueroooooooo............." then just stayed quiet for a few seconds. Because it came out the blue right at the end he gave a genuine emotional response, I bet if he'd scored much earlier and City had wrapped it up Tyler would have had some stats or a pun pre-planned as the goals went in.

Who the guy who does the main Sky games when it's not Tyler? I think it's Alan Parry? He's awful.

Edited by Art Vandelay

Taken from elsewhere - a good example of how to run a club:

The Mighty Bantams have had cheap season tickets for about 8 years now on the basis that having a bigger crowd leads to better atmosphere, performance, etc.

Last season they shocked us all by reducing the price of an adult season ticket down from £199 to £149, with concessions at £99 and kids under 11 for free.

The result was that season ticket holders increased from c.11,000 to over 18,000 and the fans have been rewarded by the team finishing 5th and getting in the playoffs.

The first leg is on Sunday and most fans were expecting the club to wait to see what division we are in before announcing prices.

This morning the club announced that prices would be frozen for next season irrespective of which division we are in.

Taken from elsewhere - a good example of how to run a club:

The Mighty Bantams have had cheap season tickets for about 8 years now on the basis that having a bigger crowd leads to better atmosphere, performance, etc.

Last season they shocked us all by reducing the price of an adult season ticket down from £199 to £149, with concessions at £99 and kids under 11 for free.

The result was that season ticket holders increased from c.11,000 to over 18,000 and the fans have been rewarded by the team finishing 5th and getting in the playoffs.

The first leg is on Sunday and most fans were expecting the club to wait to see what division we are in before announcing prices.

This morning the club announced that prices would be frozen for next season irrespective of which division we are in.

Really?

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/

Hmm, odd. I found this:

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/news/article/club-confirms-season-ticket-plans-for-1617-campaign-3110927.aspx

We are delighted to announce today (Friday 13 May 2016) that thanks to the success of this season's ticket prices, the Club will keep exactly the same prices for next season (2016/2017 campaign) regardless of division (although they will not be on sale until AFTER the play offs.)

Phil Parkinson and his players are, of course, still hoping for promotion to the Championship after finishing in the Play-Off places but the decision has been made to release the news now, irrespective of promotion or not. This had been done as a thank you to the fans who bought in huge numbers last summer and hope to even surpass the 18,000 sold for the 15/16 season.

This exciting news means that Bantams fans could be watching Championship football for as little as £149 per adult for the season that's £6.48 per game to watch the likes of Newcastle United, Leeds United, Aston Villa and Huddersfield Town.

James Mason, City's Chief Operating Officer explained the thinking behind the decision.

He said: "We looked at various different prices for next year's season tickets, but the key message was to keep the prices affordable and to encourage as many families with children to come and watch Bradford City.

"Yes we could have put the prices up and many fans have suggested we should. But trust us, we are building a Club for many generations to come and it's worked so far. Julian's (Rhodes) foresight all those years ago was a brave but brilliant move.

"He deserves the credit and Mark for supporting that. My job now is to continue supporting this philosophy and it's nice to see the rest of the British football world is watching and listening, even if they have to come to the party a little after us!

"We have some new innovative sponsorship deals to unveil over the next few weeks and months which will support our community focus so it's an exciting time for the Club and City."

Although the news about the price freeze comes today, the Club are keen to stress that they WILL NOT be on sale until after the Play-Offs finish with further details on dates to follow.

This was last year:

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/news/article/new-season-tickets-on-sale-onefournine-2455177.aspx

City winger Filipe Morais has become the latest member of Phil Parkinson's squad to back the new #ONEFOURNINE push!

As Filipe is showing in the main article picture above, City's adult season tickets for next season will only cost ONE, FOUR, NINE - £149.00!

That's right - supporters over the age of 16 - adults, senior citizens and students - will only have to pay £149.00 - that is £50.00 cheaper than last season's adult season ticket price.

With such an amazing price on offer to City supporters, the club is hoping fans will join Filipe and the rest of Parkinson's squad by getting behind the #ONEFOURNINE push, backing the Bantams, and signing up for next season!

City supporters can also get behind the club's season ticket push and spread the word by using the #ONEFOURNINE hashtag on Twitter.

Junior season tickets remain at only £99.00.

The hugely popular FlexiCard is also available once again to supporters for only £50.00.

Twenty-five year season-ticket holders will be asked to pay £110, which includes once again a free suite upgrade. Admission for under-11s is free (after a £5.00 admin charge) in conjunction with the purchase of an adult ticket.

The season-ticket offer will run until Sunday, July 5. After that point, all adult season ticket prices will change to £299.00 and junior tickets to £199.00.

Read more at http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/news/article/new-season-tickets-on-sale-onefournine-2455177.aspx#aU31sXsur8C61T07.99

Not sure why your link, also from the official site, shows them at that price. Must be for a limited time - your link references the onefournine campaign for last season,

Edited by David

This exciting news means that Bantams fans could be watching Championship football for as little as £149 per adult for the season that's £6.48 per game to watch the likes of Newcastle United, Leeds United, Aston Villa and Huddersfield Town.

Nothing says you're back in the big time like a game against the mighty Huddersfield Town :unsure:

Nothing says you're back in the big time like a game against the mighty Huddersfield Town :unsure:

I'm presuming it's because it's a derby. :) But I think you knew that

Atletico deserved to win

last night. Real's antics are sickening. Even my grandsons were commenting on their behaviour.

You knew as soon as the penalties started who was going to win though. Athletico's keeper looked like a full back who'd been stuck in goal as soon as he was facing a penalty.

That Pepe deserves a hard punch or five.

Thought Sky could learn a thing or two from BT making the finals available for everyone to watch.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

Pepe's got to be one of the most unlikable players around and when you've got Ronaldo and Marcello on your team that's quite an achievement.....