i.k.s

Reasons why you HATE the modern game...

Football reaping what it sows in last nights Chelsea v Tottenham game. After years of calling for video replay in football they now decide they don’t like what it comes with and has become just another thing to moan about rather than admitting they didn’t do enough in the game to make a single decision irrelevant.

I must admit I wasn't for it originally but I'm definitely coming round to the idea. My main concern was how long it would take to make a decision and therefore kill the momentum of the game. But last night it didn't seem like too long a time although perhaps if you're actually in the stadium it might seem different.

But the right decision was made which was all that mattered. And similarly with goal-line technology the players don't really have grounds to complain which is nice.

5 hours ago, Savo said:

I must admit I wasn't for it originally but I'm definitely coming round to the idea. My main concern was how long it would take to make a decision and therefore kill the momentum of the game. But last night it didn't seem like too long a time although perhaps if you're actually in the stadium it might seem different.

But the right decision was made which was all that mattered. And similarly with goal-line technology the players don't really have grounds to complain which is nice.

Football does seem a lot less complicated to decide compared to rugby. I thought the right decision was made last night. It’llprobably Get more calls right than wrong in the long run.

What’s got on my titend is the managers insisting now finding new moans. Be nice if they’d just shrug their shoulders and say it’s debatable but we should have been better over the rest of the ninety minutes.

On 11/30/2018 at 5:34 PM, bestwood_red! said:

I’m sure everyone who has played with him said he’s an absolute maniac as well. 

He won't be there long if he doesn't buck his ideas up. Another fool with a chip on his shoulder like Ince.

Referees decisions will always be subjective and a matter of opinion based on fouls, and the distribution of cards, football is a game that is impossible to get 100% consistency because each referee has a different perspective. Offsides were one of the few things which were considered to be 100% fool proof but even that is being tested recently. goal line technology looks like it has proven to be a useful tool and has seemed pretty faultless so far. have any of you actually experienced a VAR decision live in the ground? I haven't but I'm told by friends that it sucks every bit of soul out of the game even if they could be on the end of a favourable decision.

19 hours ago, Ricknffc said:

Referees decisions will always be subjective and a matter of opinion based on fouls, and the distribution of cards, football is a game that is impossible to get 100% consistency because each referee has a different perspective. Offsides were one of the few things which were considered to be 100% fool proof but even that is being tested recently. goal line technology looks like it has proven to be a useful tool and has seemed pretty faultless so far. have any of you actually experienced a VAR decision live in the ground? I haven't but I'm told by friends that it sucks every bit of soul out of the game even if they could be on the end of a favourable decision.

I would happily knock VAR on the head, on the strong proviso that tv replays & repeat analysis of every contentious decision are also banned. It isn't fair that officials get cunted off by these 'experts' in the studio when they've looked at it about ten times.

Edited by i.k.s

3 hours ago, i.k.s said:

I would happily knock VAR on the head, on the strong proviso that tv replays & repeat analysis of every contentious decision are also banned. It isn't fair that officials get cunted off by these 'experts' in the studio when they've looked at it about ten times.

And finish off with “I don’t know how the referee missed that one”

So VAR was used for what was the match winning goal the other night. Neither manager could blame the ref, cos it was a VAR decision. So what they do? Blame the refs for not being ready for VAR. The ref just cannot win.

Fuck VAR.  Var will not be used to pick up on nancy boys rolling around when they haven't even been touched, trying to get a fellow pro sent off by cheating, but wow, it can tell us if a player was a gnat's knacker offside. What fucking difference does it make if a player is 2 inches offside? His feet could be onside, but the little finger on his outstretched arm could be offside. It's overkill.

Part of the entertainment value of a game is the human error factor of the officials. They get some right, they get some wrong, but it balances itself out through the season..........and always provides a good talking point among the fans in the pub after.

I do agree that TV pundits have brought this on. Scrutinising everything in slow motion, and from every conceivable angle, and then saying the ref got it wrong. The ref sees it in real time, from one angle, and has a split second to make a decision. Of course he's going to get some wrong. But it's worked OK for the past 130 odd years.

I reckon this will lead to a big change in football as we know it. Games will be 30 minutes each way, with the watch stopping every time the ball is out of play, or a foul, or the use of VAR. Send the cheer leaders on when VAR is called upon, and have a chap in the crowd selling fucking popcorn and soda drinks.

13 hours ago, Dane B said:

I do agree that TV pundits have brought this on. Scrutinising everything in slow motion, and from every conceivable angle, and then saying the ref got it wrong. The ref sees it in real time, from one angle, and has a split second to make a decision. Of course he's going to get some wrong. 

I remember seeing a game, must be a few years back now with a decision the tv pundits were half and half over, some thought it was foul, some thought it wasn't. Anyway they zoomed in so the football was almost the size of the entire screen, and then slowed it down so that it was literally going frame by frame and watched it about 10 times and by doing that you could "just about" tell which way the decision should go. All the pundits then confidentally agreed that the ref had completely fucked it up :) It was actually quite funny :)

Interesting read, much of which may not be of any interest to many but snippets on the modern footballers pampered, entitled lifestyle insulated from the realities of life.

Players downing tools when they feel like it and the bully boy that is Roy Keane and Martin O'Neils outdated approach.

I remember this lad as a first team player quitting Ipswich and the professional game when he had everything in front of him, through his disillusionment with the whole thing.

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/i-didnt-want-to-be-shane-the-footballer-i-wanted-to-be-known-for-something-else-daniel-mcdonnell-sits-down-with-shane-supple-37703863.html?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by legs_akimbo

On 1/10/2019 at 7:17 PM, Dane B said:

I do agree that TV pundits have brought this on......

There's been a definite change over the last 20 year in how they look at games. I remember when MOTD first came back in the 90s after the match they'd look at the goals and stand out moments/players and Hansen would pick out defensive errors how they could have defended better etc. Now it's straight on to controversial moments - penalties, disallowed goals, sending offs etc. It's the same on Sky. If you were watching for the first time and knew nothing about football you'd think the ref's decisions were the most influential thing in every match.

I think it started with the likes of Ferguson and Wenger always blaming the ref when their teams lost, Rather than challenge them on it, the tv people just went along with it so the likes of Allardyce and Hughes started doing the same, and their teams were losing most weeks, so there slowly developed a constant theme of picking on ref (perceived) errors ahead of anything else. Now this is just the standard culture of English football coverage. Meanwhile of course, the deliberate cheating of the players continues to be largely ignored.

There’s some “stat” that I saw on twitter that since Juergen Klopp took over at Liverpool he has blamed the ref after every defeat Liverpool have suffered. 

It drives me crazy that the interviewers never question the manager or even correct them. 

59 minutes ago, bestwood_red! said:

There’s some “stat” that I saw on twitter that since Juergen Klopp took over at Liverpool he has blamed the ref after every defeat Liverpool have suffered. 

It drives me crazy that the interviewers never question the manager or even correct them. 

They wouldn't get interviews afterwards if they did that, and I'm sure as eggs are eggs that interviews post match are all part of contractual demands. Personally I'd say ''so & so won't talk, or allow his players to talk, because we pulled so & so up on such & such''. Make 'em look proper wallies.