i.k.s

Reasons why you HATE the modern game...

We have 3 or 4 academy clubs near me and at the end of the season that is my lot. They have lots of coaches and matches are all sorted - you just cannot manage local teams no more. I even had one mum say that her son was not getting any better and when I said he hadn’t been to training for the last 4 weeks she said “well he turns up for games!”

cunts the lot of them - I could chuck it in tomorrow if I didn’t care about my son and a couple of others who really enjoy it 

• Upvote 1

Are you any good ER?  All of my kids all got loads better while I had 'em but I reckon I was probably a shit match day manager.  We always got complemented cause we were brilliant to watch but would fucking lose still.  Honestly, it was like watching Forest for the last two years watching us defend a cross or a corner.  You'd think organising a defence would be a piece of piss but I couldn't manage it, not once we went to eleven a side. 

2 hours ago, E R said:

We have 3 or 4 academy clubs near me and at the end of the season that is my lot. They have lots of coaches and matches are all sorted - you just cannot manage local teams no more. I even had one mum say that her son was not getting any better and when I said he hadn’t been to training for the last 4 weeks she said “well he turns up for games!”

cunts the lot of them - I could chuck it in tomorrow if I didn’t care about my son and a couple of others who really enjoy it 

You should read “You’ll win nothing with kids” by Jim White. Reminds me of my time  running a kids team and all the characters you come across. There’s all sorts in kids football.  Makes me laugh how many coaches think they’re a premier league manager in waiting. All the fucking earache they create during a game. Just like the manager you experienced shrugged their shoulders at some disgusting tackles and have a fit when they get it back.

I think part of the problem is the difference in opportunity nowadays versus years gone by. Kids now have no end of different clubs they go to. Swimming club, football club, cricket club, badminton club, hockey and so on. A different club each day. That feels different to when I was a kid. I’m not sure there were so many football clubs and teams so it was harder to get in.

13 hours ago, Charlie Cheswick said:

Are you any good ER?  All of my kids all got loads better while I had 'em but I reckon I was probably a shit match day manager.  We always got complemented cause we were brilliant to watch but would fucking lose still.  Honestly, it was like watching Forest for the last two years watching us defend a cross or a corner.  You'd think organising a defence would be a piece of piss but I couldn't manage it, not once we went to eleven a side. 

I am ok - I am doing my level 1 next month and try to keep the sessions fun. We have a qualified coach who is forever trying to over complicate things and takes half hour to explain a simple task by which time half of them are talking to each other and the other half are doing the floss 🙄

For example he was working on them trying to pass a bit longer and a bit more accurate and was talking about body shape, head over the ball etc for a good 15 minutes

I took the session the following week and invented the Haribo challenge where I put out a cone and whoever hit it from about 10 metres won one of the small packs of haribo 

Fucking hell the enthusiasm after that.

Then I got this really good DVD as we were trying to teach them running with the ball and dribbling. Again the coach put out ten cones and said weave in and out and after a couple of minutes they were bored so the week after we did this and they fucking loved it

Edited by E R
  • Upvote 1

You sound better than the qualified coach to be honest.  There are loads of great ideas you can pinch off Youtube and lots that you shouldn't, you know within a couple of minutes if they're into it or not. 

The thing that worked the best for me with passing was making a narrow pitch and then splitting it up into sections and they couldn't pass longer than two of them.  I was amazed how much better on the ball they got really quickly by doing that.  Half of them will complain that it's too hard though haha, then they'll be twice as good the week after.  Mix that with working on putting you're wingers though and you're away.  Don't ask me for defensive training tips.

• Upvote 1

Defending is easy.  If you're playing a flat back four. ..keep the line. Three at the back with two attacking full backs...don't trust more than one man to play the offside.  Have two terriers in front of him getting on the oppositions forwards tits. .leaving the last defender dropping off to soak up any long or stray balls..but he has to be a fast runner to command the back line and hit the wingers...and NEVER get too close when man marking. Always leave an arms length so when the attacking player turns you're facing him head on. Also raking calf muscles with studs and any other snide moves is a real plus 

Here to help x

I agree but...

You say that but getting kids to do it in practice no matter how well you drill them in training, especially ones that aren't natural footballers.

It's easy to teach kids to play well but defending takes determination and I didn't have the brains to get that into them.  That's why I figure I was a shit match day manager.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

2 hours ago, E R said:

He has taken the TV rights from 670m to 5.14 billion - he deserves every penny he gets 👍

Interesting approach in a thread titled "Reasons you hate the modern game"

• Haha 2

Yeah - When you put the link up without comment I guessed it was something about the modern game that you hated so I just added a counter argument

I think people are just jealous of what he has achieved and the recognition with this bonus and they ignore the fact that Maranakis probably wouldn’t have bought Forest without the goal of possibility of attaining the revenue that Scudamore has created if we ever make the premier league 

i see the premier league have approved it anyway and rightly so imo 👏

Edited by E R

16 hours ago, i.k.s said:

Ethnics saying they're overlooked.

The argument you're referring to relates to football management, I believe. The data shows that black and minority people are under represented in football management roles. 33% of Premier League players are black or minority ethnic, but only 7% of managers are. In wider football, two thirds of black or minority ethnic managers don't get offered a second job: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/rooney-rule-black-managers-indisputable-data-football-jonathan-liew-a8379111.html

So yes, based on that you'd have to say ethnic minority managers are overlooked in football.

56 minutes ago, H-Block said:

The argument you're referring to relates to football management, I believe. The data shows that black and minority people are under represented in football management roles. 33% of Premier League players are black or minority ethnic, but only 7% of managers are. In wider football, two thirds of black or minority ethnic managers don't get offered a second job: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/rooney-rule-black-managers-indisputable-data-football-jonathan-liew-a8379111.html

So yes, based on that you'd have to say ethnic minority managers are overlooked in football.

The problem with stats like that (and similar ones get peddled out for women at senior levels in the workplace) is that time needs to pass to redress the balance. The current crop of black/minority players will eventually become managers, however, the 7% figure should be compared to the number of black/minority players 15-years ago.

As about 85% of the population is white, you could make an argument that white people are being heavily discriminated against at Premier League level.

On 11/17/2018 at 8:08 AM, H-Block said:

English managers are being overlooked as well. 

Also how many black people are even applying for these jobs? I can remember Simon Jordan saying he had over 200 applicants for the job at Palace and only one was black and he had never managed professionally. 

Its like when they says there’s not enough Middle Eastern players the reason is they aren’t allowed to be footballers half the time. I have loads of Indian friends and one of them was a phenomal player when he was in his early teens. The problem is to be a footballer you have to basically sacrifice your education and Indian parents are realists. He was allowed to play football at the weekend and that’s it, no midweek training, homework comes first. In that culture if there is a one in ten thousand chance of you being a footballer or you can work hard, go uni and become a doctor there’s only one choice. 

50 minutes ago, bestwood_red! said:

Also how many black people are even applying for these jobs? I can remember Simon Jordan saying he had over 200 applicants for the job at Palace and only one was black and he had never managed professionally. 

Its like when they says there’s not enough Middle Eastern players the reason is they aren’t allowed to be footballers half the time. I have loads of Indian friends and one of them was a phenomal player when he was in his early teens. The problem is to be a footballer you have to basically sacrifice your education and Indian parents are realists. He was allowed to play football at the weekend and that’s it, no midweek training, homework comes first. In that culture if there is a one in ten thousand chance of you being a footballer or you can work hard, go uni and become a doctor there’s only one choice. 

Ha I was wondering that the other day. Along with the tiddlywinks, the two most populated planets on earth & I can't think of one player from India or China thats graced any top flight. I think one Chinese fella played for Blackpool. So I dont really think anyone is 'overlooked' they just don't cut it.

We had a muslim lad called Yaasin sign for my sons team and he is quite good but he can only play once a month as the immam is going to throw him out. His dad actually said could we change the match time to suit him ffs 🙄. We had to change from grass to astro because of the weather for training and the only day we could get was a Friday - the dad said he has religious studies and could we change it. WTF - why did he even allow his son to join? He will drop out soon no doubt and it is a shame as he loves it. Even the other boys are starting to take a dislike to the kid as the dad will never let us know if he is going to turn up and we don’t know if we have enough players or not and I feel guilty fucking the kid off so am putting it off.

I cant imagine it is much different for other Muslim lads but you can easily see how they don’t get involved in the game. Shame as he is a really nice lad and as I say gives his all when he is allowed to play by his prents 

Edited by E R

Sol Campbell gets the Macclesfield job as they're bottom of the football league. Obviously, despite being an amazing manager he's been held back all this time due to being black so I fully expect them to avoid relegation and then win the title next season.

Here's what he said about it...

"Macclesfield fans will probably say 'what's going on here?'" he said when asked if his appointment was a gamble.

"You've got an international footballer who has been one of the best footballers in the world coming to your club, I think there's a nice mutual balance there."

57 minutes ago, Savo said:

Sol Campbell gets the Macclesfield job as they're bottom of the football league. Obviously, despite being an amazing manager he's been held back all this time due to being black so I fully expect them to avoid relegation and then win the title next season.

Here's what he said about it...

"Macclesfield fans will probably say 'what's going on here?'" he said when asked if his appointment was a gamble.

"You've got an international footballer who has been one of the best footballers in the world coming to your club, I think there's a nice mutual balance there."

He come across as a right thick cunt in the interview too. Car crash waiting to happen.