i.k.s

Reasons why you HATE the modern game...

Nice that Russia that well known tenant of Fair Play got the Confederations Cup AND the World cup.

I could be wrong but i think that it is always the country that is due to host the world cup that gets the confederations cup. I believe it is supposed to be a "dry run"...

No fucker is worth £1-2-300 grand a week. Nobody at all.

Nobody? So if a club sells shirts and merchandise with your name on making £100m a year you should only earn 50 grand a year?

Yes they should. In fact I'd go father anbd say no they shouldn't be paid £50k per year. There should be a structure and it should be adhered to. And none of this fining clubs that break the rules bollocks....they get a 12 month ban and demoted to the bottom league in their country.

Yes they should. In fact I'd go father anbd say no they shouldn't be paid £50k per year. There should be a structure and it should be adhered to. And none of this fining clubs that break the rules bollocks....they get a 12 month ban and demoted to the bottom league in their country.

So you'd expect someone to follow a career that would pay a maximum of £50k a year but by the time you're 32 you're done. So if £50k is the maximum that means you have to be top of your game so probably 25-29. From 18-25 you are earning £20-30k a year and 29-32 probably the same. However you have to sacrifice much of your youth and education to do it so when you finish school at 16 you have to be a full time footballer so you can't learn any trades or go to college and uni. These lads should basically be unskilled and unemployed at 32 for what amounts to a postmans wage (before you argue that point I was a postman for 12 years my last p60 was £38k). I know a couple of professional footballers and while the rest of us were drinking and smoking weed at the park at 16 and taking it in turns on some drunk girl before having a kebab, they were training and eating right from 12/13 onwards to make it where they are today. The sacrifices are incredible what these kids have to go through and that's just to be an average footballer.

What about golfers, F1 drivers, movie stars, musicians etc are they all capped to £50k a year too?

Agree totally Bestwood. If you're a player that pulls in tens of millions in shirt and tv revenue (Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez etc) or part of a team that does then why shouldn't you be allowed a large slice of the pie? At the end of the day these top players entertain millions each week so why should they not be line with actors/pop stars?

My issue is the amount of money that ends up in the pockets of agents or bang average cloggers.

Maybe you two are too young to remember when football wasn't priced the way it is. The players can 'earn' what they do thanks to the shift in the modern game from sport to a money making bonanza and we're full cirle as to what I hate about the modern game.

I've got no problem with employees taking their fair contribution from a business far from it but all of that revenue comes from a sport that's riddled itself with greed at the expense of anything the game once stood for.

That said, fair play to your Ronaldo sorts who give shitloads of their cash away.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

Point is, it's this utterly corrupt fucking system that some of you seem to defend that means that smaller clubs then have to pay over inflated fees and wages to "Bang average cloggers" as SAVO puts it. If the contemptable greed at the top didn't exist then the greed that spirals downwards wouldn't because there would be no need for it. Those that run the game and have done over the past forty years should all be lined against a wall and shot. Despicable bastards.

And the most profoundly ridiculous sentence in the English language actually came from FIFA..."For the good of the Game."

The two highest paid people involved with football last year were Mino Raiola and Jorge Mendes. That's the problem.

Bloody parasites and leeches ..

I'll remind you all once again...its punters that shell out for overpriced season tickets and sky sports that contribute very heavily to footballers wages. If you are part of this farce don't ever moan.

Packed up regularly going to Forest years ago because its all a load of bollocks this football malarkey and I'll only go now if I fancy the day out or weekend away. Overpriced hyped up bullshit.

See the Dutchman got the boot at Palace to be replaced by Woy.

The epitome of what Dane said some time ago about players not getting sacked but Managers do. Proper bloody joke.

For me it's because attacking players are offered too much protection by the referee. Players would either ride a tackle, or take a kick, regain their balance and continue forward. God solid centre half's and centre forwards. It's gone from being a man's game to just a bunch of fairies diving and rolling around on the floor.

did you see that guy in the West Brom game who tried to stay up and didn't get a pen - what do you think he will do next time? dive over at the slightest contact

the refs are the ones to blame as they are supposed to book people for diving but rarely do and then stand there when people are ripping each others shirts off at a corner and ignore it

No, I did not, E R. If I'm completely honest, these last few years I have completely gone off the game, and it makes me sad. I'm surprised anyone can get a handful of shirt though these days as I thought they were designed to be figure hugging to try and prevent those particular infringements? It used to be an attribute to have upper body strength...how many Centre forwards and central defenders used to have noses that were spread across their faces from grappling with each other. I dunno...maybe I'm just showing my age, I dunno? My hero as a child was Stuart Pearce, and there is nothing like that anymore.

Another thing. Listening to interviews with footballers now is the most dreadfully, mind numbingly boring bloody experience imaginable. Utter bloody stupidity that has been media trained within an inch of their lives. Rehearsed sound bite after bloody sound bite. Devoid of any personality what so ever. I could bloody rant now, as on the flip side, as soon as one of these bloody players does say something out of line it gets picked up by the media, and social bloody media, and you don't hear the sodding end of it. Bloody Coldplay and Ed Sheran as well. Grrrr. Anyway, I digressed a while back.

You can't blame the players for the bland interviews. These days there's a baying mob round every corner just waiting to pounce on anything that could even remotely be considered controversial.

You can't blame the players for the bland interviews. These days there's a baying mob round every corner just waiting to pounce on anything that could even remotely be considered controversial.

I like modern day football nutjobs for the sole reason that they're more interesting than everyone else and can't play the media game. Our lot hate Davies but at least he wasn't boring, made me laugh loads every time he did something nutty. I still laugh thinking about him talking behind his water bottle. I loved Cantona and Di Canio for the same reason. I don't think it's just football, it's modern life in general that has trained us to be outraged at anything outside of the norm meaning all we're stuck with is mediocrity.