Sign in to follow this  
Random Task

Recommend a film

Watched Adulthood last night and thought is was ok. The problem I had with it is that I couldn't remember what happened in Kidulthood so I found myself a bit lost at times. The film got better and better for me as i went on though - very watchable 6/10

Caught Jindabyne a few weeks back, thought it was pretty poor and nowhere near as good as Lantana.

Jindabyne is basically a drawn out remake of one of the stories from 'Short Cuts'.

Fair do's, i've not seen Short Cuts i'm afraid so can't compare. I saw Jindabyne first and enjoyed it so much that i went to see what other films the director had done which is how i found Lantana. I agree about Lantana being the superior film by far though.

Recently saw Garden State again which is a film written, directed and starring Zach Braff (JD from Scrubs). Subdued but very good i thought. Don't watch it expecting something similar to Scrubs :)

Watched "Things we lost in the fire" the other night and thought it was really good, really well acted - especially Benicio Del Torro. Definitely worth a watch.

Watched Black Book last night which is a dutch film about a Jewish woman who becomes a spy for the Dutch resistance against the Nazi's in WW2. Thoroughly enjoyed it and i barely noticed the 2 and a half hours running time.

Watched Black Book last night which is a dutch film about a Jewish woman who becomes a spy for the Dutch resistance against the Nazi's in WW2. Thoroughly enjoyed it and i barely noticed the 2 and a half hours running time.

I agree - I watched it recently as well and really enjoyed it too. A great film and really well acted.

If you enjoyed that, you may also enjoy Female Agents. A French film about the resistance in WW2. Seems a bit far fetched at times but worth a watch

I find these days that I'm drawn more to foreign films than the Hollywood blockbuster type efforts; there is something less predicatble about them and they seem more genuine as I'm unfamiliar with "stars" of such films

Its an alright film isn't it, it's directed by Paul Verhoeven who did Robocop and Total Recall among others.

Watched "Cass" last night; thought it was pretty well made and shot well and also pretty well acted. I'd give it a 6.5. The only trouble was that you kinda came away thinking that he was a loveable gentle giant and it glamourised things a wee bit; apart from that it's worth a watch if only to see Wolves fans getting battered at the beginning

Also watched "Man On Wire";Documentary about a French street performer's ambition to tightrope walk between the two twin towers. Although it was quite long winded I found it extraordinary and engaging - the central character in the movie is very charismatic and tells the story well. I felt that it's obvious sad sub text is the fact that the towers sadly aren't there anymore. I'd recommend this film/documentary

Apparently she was related to our very own sparkman..

Shotgun Stories, a very brooding film that grabs your attention from the start, a directoral debut that stars the mental guy from Bug and is well worth a watch.

Slumdog Millionaire - Absolutely brilliant film.

Downloading it as I type... 56% done...

Did you watch The Foot Fist Way???

Fucking brilliant.

Apologies if already mentioned.

I saw Seven Pounds yesterday.

It takes a little while to grasp the concept as i'd not seen any trailers, but once you get an understaning, it's a very good film which touches the heart.

Also saw The Way of War, I thought it was a little off and a few things happened in it which had no relevance to anything, but a good enough watch if you have nothing to do.

Slumdog Millionaire is fantastic. I can now give it the Faceman seal of approval...

Also watched "The Wrestler" last night. Another top film, Mickey Rourkes best film for ages... Stunning.

City of Men - pretty good. Follow up to City of God, not as good but still worth a watch

I liked it

Also watched "Man On Wire";Documentary about a French street performer's ambition to tightrope walk between the two twin towers. Although it was quite long winded I found it extraordinary and engaging - the central character in the movie is very charismatic and tells the story well. I felt that it's obvious sad sub text is the fact that the towers sadly aren't there anymore. I'd recommend this film/documentary

I've only just seen this review...

It really is amazing isn't it? I agree, it goes on for a bit but my good god, the man is fucking crazy!!!

Brilliant documentary.

Took the missus to see "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" this evening. I gotta say that I thought it was really good and I enjoyed it. Well acted, a bit too long and quite "Forest Gump" in it's style, nevertheless I thought it was very good. Better than Slumdog IMO

Watched "Cass" last night; thought it was pretty well made and shot well and also pretty well acted. I'd give it a 6.5. The only trouble was that you kinda came away thinking that he was a loveable gentle giant and it glamourised things a wee bit; apart from that it's worth a watch if only to see Wolves fans getting battered at the beginning

I watched this last night and thought it was 'ok'. The ending was absolutely shocking though.

Watched a few decent films recently:

Amelie is a great little French film about a shy girl that decides to help all the people in her life find happiness in some way. Whimsical, but good stuff.

Me Without You, which i admit i only started watching because it has Anna Friel and Michelle Williams taking there clothes off a lot, but it actually turned out to be a pretty decent film about a couple of childhood friends growing up in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship.

21 Grams actually has a pretty naff and bog standard plotline about someone wanting revenge for the death of there family, however the performances and unique style of telling (it flashes through time), make it quite engrossing.

Appaloosa is a western about 2 guys that agree to police the small town of the title that is being overrun by an outlaw and his gang. It's a fairly standard plot but very well done with a couple of curveballs thrown in.

Can't think of any others right now.

Gran Torino...

Brilliant. Simply amazing. Clint Eastwood is a fucking GOD.

Fact.

Look forward to seeing it. Did you see Flags of Our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima?

Look forward to seeing it. Did you see Flags of Our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima?

Nope, are they good J?? Worth downloading??

I heard good things about Iwo Jima...