Sign in to follow this  
Random Task

Recommend a film

Anyone who has read the book will hate it, they've completely changed and 'Hollywooded' the ending rendering the title of the film pointless. It made me quite cross. :competitive:

It's a shame when they do that; I'm glad I didn't read the book!

Michael Caine has always said that his best film was Get Carter (in relation to villans he has played). He's not wrong there. I recommend that you watch the director's commentary on the DVD. There is also a fantastic web site dedicated to the film http://www.getcartertour.co.uk/

I have never liked geordies since the infamous FA Cup game in 1974 by the way!

state of grace. starring gary oldman and sean penn

absolute quality if you like irish mafia films. one of gary oldmans best performances and penns. :thumbsup_anim:

Magnolia. Brilliant film, even Tom Cruise is good in it. In fact, i should say, it's brilliant, despite Tom Cruise being in it. In fact, it's his only good film, ever. In fact, better than good, brilliant.

Finally got round to watching this yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even with the 3 hour plus running time i still never got bored and was actually a bit disappointed when it finished coz i wanted to see where it went afterwards :)

Anyone who has read the book will hate it, they've completely changed and 'Hollywooded' the ending rendering the title of the film pointless. It made me quite cross. :competitive:

I hate this also. Happened to me years ago after reading the firm. Got all excited when the movie was coming out and just sat through it thinking what the f**k is going on here?

Not read the book of I am Legend. Good film though

Bloodline the movie

for anyone interested in the bloodline theory about Jesus and Mary this film is astonishing some of the evidence they find is just staggering, when they excavate the tomb, I think its going to change the way the world thinks about christianity.

Boogie Nights.

Apart from the somewhat unsatisfying ending i really enjoyed this film and i highly recommend it.

Watch it guys you wont be disappointed.

Been filming it up lately

Vantage Point - ok film, quite clever in the way it's made, but a bit tacky. Good car chase. 6/10

Gone baby Gone - again, just ok. Casey Affleck pretty good in it but shame about the ending. Tries to be a bit to clever 6/10

The Happening - Total dog shit. Avoid at all costs. Mark Walhberg absolutley dreadful 1/10

Rec - Spainsh film that I quite enjoyed. A bit predictable and another infected human biting people infecting them type effort. Nevertheless I found it quite gripping. The lass in it was good 7/10

Cloverfield - New nothing about it before I watched it and thought it was really good. 7/10

Indiana Jones - was disappointed by it, loved it as a kid. 6/10

That's all folks

I'll tell you two WAAAAAAAY over-hyped films to avoid - Michael Clayton & Lady in the Water. Both pointless, directionless shite. Four hours of my life I'll never get back - but maybe I can save you that time!

I'll tell you two WAAAAAAAY over-hyped films to avoid - Michael Clayton & Lady in the Water. Both pointless, directionless shite. Four hours of my life I'll never get back - but maybe I can save you that time!

I really enjoyed Lady in the Water.

I recently saw Shooting Fish which i thought was great. It's about 10 years old now, but still very enjoyable. It's about 2 guys who are ophans trying to con there way to a fortune so they can buy a stately home they always dreamed about. Funny stuff.

Went to see Rocknrolla the other night. Was expecting big things as was apparently Guy Ritchie's "come back"!

Waste of time. Crap. No where near slick and violent enough for a "Gangster Flick"

Took a hour to get going and a really stupid story line.

Avoid!

I went to watch Appaloosa (or however it's spelt) and I can highly reccomend it to anyone looking for a directionless romp. It's good fun with a few people getting shot for good measure.

Went to see Rocknrolla the other night. Was expecting big things as was apparently Guy Ritchie's "come back"!

Waste of time. Crap. No where near slick and violent enough for a "Gangster Flick"

Took a hour to get going and a really stupid story line.

Avoid!

Hmmm... I'm thinking people need to re-read the thread title :D

I watched a stunning film last night called The Shape of Things. It's about the relationships between 4 people (incidentally the only 4 players in the movie, excluding extra's). The twist at the end is differently done in that it's pretty obvious what is going on. Films like Fight Club or Unbreakable give you slight of hand clues that on rewatching you can see but probably didn't notice first time round... this one drops clues like an anvil but it doesn't spoil it at all (incidentally the film is nothing like those two movies, just the first two that popped into my head with big twists at the end...). In fact it draws you in more with a kind of horrified fascination at what is going on. Great stuff.

Trees Lounge is a very good film thats pretty under rated. Written, directed and starring Steve Buscemi and also has some familiar faces like Samual L Jackson and one of the Baldwins popping up in it also.

Watched "Mongol" tonight - pretty good, give it a 7/10. Really well filmed, ended a bit too suddenly though - just as old Genghis is about to invade half the world. Worth a watch though.

Watched "Mongol" tonight - pretty good, give it a 7/10. Really well filmed, ended a bit too suddenly though - just as old Genghis is about to invade half the world. Worth a watch though.

As i understand it, Mongol is just part 1 of a planner 2 parter film. The second will be coming out later.

As i understand it, Mongol is just part 1 of a planner 2 parter film. The second will be coming out later.

....that would explain the sudden ending then! Cheers mate. In that case it get's an 8/10

Just got back from seeing Dr Strangelove at the BFI on the Southbank.

A black comedy hits all it's targets with masterful accuracy, and a brilliant performance from Peter Sellers as three key characters. One of Stanley Kubrick's finest.

Watched Shopgirl last night which is based on Steve Martins book, and also adapted to film and starring him too. I wasn't expecting too much, but was pleasantly surprised by it. Low key, but very enjoyable.

Lantana and Jindabyne. 2 absolutely superb films from Australian director Ray Lawrence. They're a bit short on action i must admit, but they are both such brilliant character studies and development that you'll hardly notice. Both are engrossing stories, well told, well shot and finely acted, especially Anthony LaPaglia in Latana and Laura Linney in Jindabyne.

Caught Jindabyne a few weeks back, thought it was pretty poor and nowhere near as good as Lantana.

Jindabyne is basically a drawn out remake of one of the stories from 'Short Cuts'.