Sign in to follow this  
Random Task

Recommend a film

The Greasy Strangler - Turns out it was on All4 Art :) That was unpleasant anyway :) It had all the terrible acting, bizzare pointless scenes, and dodgy dialogue that they were surely mostly making up as they went along as The Room but instead of unintended hilarity it was just gross. Plus what the hell was the ZX Spectrum soundtrack all about? There was this one particular unexpected moment at the beginning that made me laugh out loud but it was rare, i think it is the look of sheer surprise in the single eye you can see :D 1/10

the-greasy-strangler-red-band-teaser-tra

Yeah, it's not an easy watch. The music may just be the most unpleasant thing about it, although there are a few contenders. I think I like the idea of other people watching it more than I actually liked watching it. I was going to just write 'very engrossing and original thriller 9/10' and hope someone just wandered into it by mistake.

If you want a film that's enjoyable bad in the style of The Room, I'm going to take this opportunity to again recommend 'Birdemic'. It's great. Awful obviously, but also great.

In a pertectly equal film swap II'll go with one of your films and I'm chosing Bad Times, which I've had on the laptop a while but not got round to....

Slaughterhouse Rulez - Boarding School set comedy horror. Not particularly funny or scary but just about watchable enough. I'll go 5/10

I've had a look around for Birdemic but it looks like it is solely on Amazon Prime at the moment (which i don't have), will keep a look out though. Weirdly, when searching i found that there is a documentary on it on the Vice channel on Wednesday this week (called Outsider) if you fancy that :)

Zombieland: Double Tap - Released 10 years after the original, with the original cast all signing up. I liked this again, they kept all the good stuff from the first one but still made a new movie. Again Bill Murray managed to steal the show with the post credits scenes. 7/10

Terminator: Dark Fate - I love the Terminator franchise, well i love the first 2 and have tolerated the rest which is why i was looking forward to this one because it is the return of James Cameron (who left at T2) and is a direct sequel to T2 that ignores the other films as alternate timelines. This one is poor though. It's just light hearted action film, at no point did i feel any sort of danger for the good guys despite the Terminator sent back being even more advanced and unstoppable than ever. Honestly the whole thing was stupid, including (and mild spoiler here) the "revelation" that it is the girl that is the resistance leader and not her son. They do it in such an over the top way, as if they are saying "yes that's right, women can lead too!!" dun dun duuuuurrrrrrrr <mind explosion>!!!! As if that hasn't been the overriding trend in Hollywood for the past number of years. A few other points, they have to stop getting Arnie back! Every time they do they have to invent even more convoluted and moronic reasons as to why he is there and why he is good now. They also have to stop making the Terminators even more advanced because it just makes it even more implausible when the humans somehow win with their crap guns that couldn't even stop the first Terminator. Anyway, this was supposed to be yet another attempt at a trilogy reboot, i expect that , as per the last 3 attempts, this will again fail and they will try another trilogy reboot (with Arnie STILL in it) in a few years time. My pitch: The resistance seem to have unlimited access to a time machine now apparently so they decide to send back hundreds of soldiers to the various decades and murder any bastard that makes any mention of Artificial Intelligence or AI. Seriously even if there name is Adam Ian Smith but they prefer to go by AI Smith, they murder him. Terminators are sent back to stop them (and since they will be saving people, Arnie can have his good guy story arc) :) 4/10

You're not getting away with it that easily RT. I've just been downloading 'Night of the Comet' from youtube and while I was there what should come up as a recommendation? Birdemic! yes, it's on there in all its glory B)

I've recorded that documentary. Thanks for the tip off, I'd never have found it on the Vice Channel. I didn't even know that was a channel....

The Belko Experiment: A group of office workers are trapped in an isolated building and there's an announcment that something bad is happening. Things get very bad indeed in office block based horror thriller type thing. 5.5/10

Edited by Art Vandelay

As it was Halloween last night I thought I'd get in the spirit and watch a horror film. I settled on IT. In a sentence, I'd describe this as a horror version of The Goonies. I don't want to give the story away but the characters were more authentic than in most horror films. It seemed that the casting was done with a nod to some of the teenage movie stars of the 80's - the bully resembled a young Kevin Bacon, the "wise guy" looked like Corey Feldman and the female lead very reminiscent of Molly Ringwald, the latter was actually acknowledged with the tongue in cheek line "who invited Molly Ringwald?". Funny, but also scary where it had to be. 8/10.

Dragging the missus out to see Le mans 66 in a bit. Serves her right for making me sit through that Joker shit the other week. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. 2.5 hours of waiting for something to happen. Very disappointing. 5/10

The Irishman.  I'm struggling here to be honest. 3 and a half hours long = too much padding, complications and unnecessary dialogue. 

Joker - A standalone origin story of the Joker that doesn't involve him falling into a vat of acid. I had heard really great things about it, except from IKS above of course, but it really wasn't all that. The first two thirds of the movie (with a couple of exceptions) are really really slow and, while i appreciate it is supposed to be that way, you can't get away from the fact that it is jarring and annoying. I guess the pay off in the last third was OK though. 5/10

Knives Out - Really really loved this. A classic whodunnit mystery story with a top sleuth PI trying to find out if the Patriarch of a rich family really did commit suicide or whether he was murdered by one of his spoiled kids. It features loads of top actors playing loads of really great characters and it is a lot of fun along the way. Great stuff. 9/10

Edited by Random Task

I'm assuming the recent film of 'It' left out the scene from the book that I'm going to generously refer to as the sewer sex scene?  A bit creepy. And not in a good way.

Right, I've seen.....

Bad Times at the El Royale - Four strangers check into an otherwise empty hotel in 70s set mystery crime drama thriller type thing. I was enjoying the start of this but I was left a bit disappointed in the end. I was expecting all their individual stories to be brought together in some way or there'd be some big pay off but it didn't really happen. There was a big climax but it was a bit of anti-climax. I'll go 6/10

Incident in Ghostland - A mother and her two daughters move to a creepy old house where something bad happens. Years later one of them is still reliving that night. Or so it seems....... Intense horror thriller from the guy who did Martyrs, which I assume we all enjoyed appreciated. It won't be for everyone 6.5/10

Piercing - Well, that was a weird little film. Best not to really know anything going in as it's pretty slow so you need all the surprises you can get. There's a man and a woman in a hotel room, it's never quite clear who's in control or even what they're hoping to acheive. But one or more of them will be pierced in cat and mouse horror drama type thing. It won't be for everyone. Or possibly anyone. I'll go 5.5/10

One Cut of the Dead - Japanese film making zombie comedy drama type thing. The first third of this is (I think) all on one camera in one take, then the second third is the build up to what you just watched, then the final third is what happened off camera while the first third was being recorded. I don't think that spoils anything and it's best not to know any more going in. Original and inventive, I'm going 7.5/10