Sign in to follow this  
Random Task

Recommend a film

Venom - Bit naff. It takes forever for Venom to even show up and then the rest of the film, all the better stuff, is squashed up and doesn't make much sense. 4/10

Bohemian Rhapsody - I enjoyed this, story-wise you could substitute any other biopic about a music star from that period and it's pretty much the same, but great music (if you like Queen of course) and a really good ending where they recreate the Live Aid '85 concert performance almost note for note, move for move. 7/10

Robin Hood (2018) - If you like super slow motion shots of people jumping while firing a bow and arrow then this film is for you! If that's not your bag i'd probably skip this. 4/10

The Girl in the Spiders Web - I read a few bad reviews of this so went in a little apprehensive but ended up quite enjoying it. It's nowhere near as good as the original (Swedish or US remake) but I found it entertaining enough. My biggest gripe with it is that there were no surprises, it was obvious what was going to happen whereas the original was full of twists and turns. This is more of an action film than the tense thriller the others were. 6/10

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.  I watched this twice because the first time it didn't make any sense.  Once you realise it's six short stories without any direct connection to each other it's pretty good.  7/10.

Calvary - A priest gets threatened with murder in 1 week during confessionals, he spends the week trying to work out what to do about it. I really enjoyed this, it's low key and interesting. The priest knows who it is that has threatened him but the viewer doesn't know and his "flock" are all very characters that you wouldn't really put it past them so it keeps you guessing. 8/10

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald - The second Fantastic Beasts film in the Harry Potter series, i really like the first one and this one was good, it's just it was clearly more setting the scene for the follow up movies (i think there are 5 in all planned). Still some good action and humour, although a bit light on the fantastic beasts... 7/10

Mortal Engines - It always worry's me when a movie trailer is basically "THIS WAS MADE BY THE LORD OF THE RINGS GUYS!!!", makes me think the film can't stand up for itself. Still it wasn't terrible, entertaining enough for the most part, except for a weird bit where some unstoppable insane robot just decides to switch himself off or something (?) for no plausible reason I could see. It's a bit complicated for a synopsis (perhaps that's why the trailer focused on the makers) but it's a standard mostly forgettable blockbuster. 6/10

Aquaman - They've made this one a standalone movie as opposed to trying to fit it in with the rest of the DC stuff. It works better because of it but it's still mostly rubbish. I guess it was entertaining enough if you have a few hours to spare. Basically Atlantis's king, and Aquaman's half brother, wants to start a war with the above ground people and Aquaman has to stop him by going on a quest, in very much the style of National Treasure and Da Vinci Code, for a mythical trident. There is also an implausibly unstoppable human after revenge because Aquaman didn't save his Dad after they both tried to kill him (?). It was too long as well. 5/10

Bros: After the screaming stops.  The best way to describe it is a boy band version of Some Kind of Monster.  Matt Goss is pretty much a real life David Brent. 8/10.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

Spotlight - Been mentioned a few times in this thread already I think. I liked it a lot. The story of the Boston Globe journalist team that uncovered the child abuse scandal in the catholic church. 8/10

Robot and Frank - Set "in the near future" an old man, and former cat burglar, is losing his mind so his son gets him a robot to help him around the house etc... however Frank starts using the robot to help out with heists again. Quite short but enjoyable. 7/10

Bohemian Rhapsody.  So so, great if you want cherry picked snippets from a part of a lifetime but no real depth in story.  I'll go with a very mediocre not much of a story told 5/10.

Not posted on here in a  while. I watched a few things over Christmas.....

Child 44 - Serious crime based drama set in 50s Russia. Long and a bit grim. I'll go 5.5/10

You Were Never Really Here - Slow sombre crime drama thriller type thing from Lynne Ramsey. Not a barrel of laughs. I'll go 6.5/10

Tomcat - A gay couple are living together, everything's fine and gay, then one of them does something odd and there are repercusions. Very slow repercusions in slow Austrian drama. 5/10

Baby Blues - A mother goes nuts after having a baby, her oldest kid tries to get away and save his siblings in fairly intense horror thriller type thing 6/10

That lot was all a bit grim so I thought I'd go with something a bit festive...

Better Watch Out - Darkly comic thriller horror type thing :santa: I'll go with a Christmassy 6/10

Edited by Art Vandelay

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:13 AM, Random Task said:

Mortal Engines - It always worry's me when a movie trailer is basically "THIS WAS MADE BY THE LORD OF THE RINGS GUYS!!!", makes me think the film can't stand up for itself. Still it wasn't terrible, entertaining enough for the most part, except for a weird bit where some unstoppable insane robot just decides to switch himself off or something (?) for no plausible reason I could see. It's a bit complicated for a synopsis (perhaps that's why the trailer focused on the makers) but it's a standard mostly forgettable blockbuster. 6/10

give the books ago mate they are really good - I read them with my kids

Pin Cushion - An odd mother and daughter move to a new town to make a fresh start. It goes fairly badly in British drama, bit of a fairly tale vibe about it. I'll go 6.5/10

Everything Everything - A teenage girl has some illness where she can't go outside. She gets to know the boy next door in cheesy drama. This was annoying and boring and cliched and predictable and generally all a bit naff. Maybe if you're a 12 year old girl with low expectations and you haven't seen a film before you might enjoy it. But I'm not, so I'll go 3/10

Blockers - Comedy where three girls make a pledge to lose their virginity on prom night, their parents find out and try to stop them. Better than it sounds. It's too long but was watchable enough and has got a few decent laughs. I'll go 6/10

Film Four tonight, 11:15, Dead Man's Shoes.

Just thought I'd mention it........

• Upvote 1

Jon Wick 3: Parabellum - If you liked the first 2, you'll like this. If not, don't bother. Personally i think they are great popcorn flicks. In this one John is pursued by the "High Table" after killing someone on consecrated ground, lots of ever more outrageous and impressive fights and stunts ensue. 8/10

Avengers: Endgame - Really good as long as you don't dwell over certain plot points too long... Action and effects are incredible. 9/10

Free Solo - Documentary about Alex Honnold who is rock climber who goes up almost sheer mountain sides "free solo" ie. without ropes or safety in any way and on his own. One slip or mistake and he is literally dead. He is about to try and climb "El Capitan" in Yosemite national park and this follows his life building up and eventually his attempt... This guy is a fucking nutter, by the end i'm pretty sure my heart was pounding more than his. 9/10

On 5/25/2019 at 9:41 AM, Random Task said:

Jon Wick 3: Parabellum - If you liked the first 2, you'll like this. If not, don't bother. Personally i think they are great popcorn flicks. In this one John is pursued by the "High Table" after killing someone on consecrated ground, lots of ever more outrageous and impressive fights and stunts ensue. 8/10

Avengers: Endgame - Really good as long as you don't dwell over certain plot points too long... Action and effects are incredible. 9/10

Free Solo - Documentary about Alex Honnold who is rock climber who goes up almost sheer mountain sides "free solo" ie. without ropes or safety in any way and on his own. One slip or mistake and he is literally dead. He is about to try and climb "El Capitan" in Yosemite national park and this follows his life building up and eventually his attempt... This guy is a fucking nutter, by the end i'm pretty sure my heart was pounding more than his. 9/10

Watched free solo the other day, I was clawing onto my fucking sofa trying not to fall off it, absolutely incredible how anyone can comprehend doing that. Astonishing practically holding onto nothing with his hands and feet. There's no stopping if tired and turning round you carry on to the top with no mistakes at all or your dead. Worth a watch to anyone

Secret Life of Pets 2. A solid 6 out of 10. Better than the original film, a little formulaic but enough in there to please the whole family

Godzilla: King of the Monsters - Some group of nutters decide to wake up all the ancient monsters of the world to combat overpopulation in some confusing logic. Godzilla tries to help while "Monach", the organisation built to try and monitor and control them, faff about ignoring the deaths millions upon millions of people because they are trying to save this one girl. The makers clearly couldn't decide whether to go with a movie about monsters scrapping or a movie with a plot you might care about and instead ended up half-assing both. 5/10

Rocketman - Elton John biopic, the plot is exactly the same as Bohemian Rhapsody, or any other rock star of the era, the difference is that this one, instead of just telling the story, does so in a more fantasy film kind of way. Entertaining enough if you like Elton songs. 7/10

X-men: Dark Phoenix - I generally like the X-Men films but this one was rubbish. Some aliens want some sort of force that has infected one of the more powerful X-men, Jean Grey, which for some reason makes her try and kill all her friends <shrug>? It all seems even more pointless because a lot of it is the same as the plot to the X-men: The Last Stand film, only not as good, which is saying something because that film was a bit naff as well! There's more that is pointless, annoying, and makes no sense - too much to mention here. It's almost like they just thought the fact that Sansa Stark from Game of Thrones was in it was enough. Even the action scenes weren't very interesting. 3/10 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  Pretty great, 10/10.  

The Hate U Give. I have some gripes where they made points without thinking them through, 'cause of that, 6/10.

Wreck it Ralph 2.  Got to 30 minutes and it was just one advertisement after another.  1/10.

Vice. Christian Bale must be the ultimate in gaining and losing weight for parts.  Hats off.  With this I felt a bit like they were preaching to the converted so a score's difficult, I'll go with 8/10.  

Night of the Comet.  Made in 1984 and I don't know why I haven't heard about it or seen it until now.  Brilliant, 9/10.

Hello. I've not posted in here in ages. I've seen....

Marrowbone - Four siblings keep a dark secret in order to stay together in horrror drama mystery type thing from the writer of The Orphanage, which I assume everyone has seen and liked. I'll go 6/5/10

Sink - A guy loses his job and has to look after his father. Echos of 'I Daniel Blake' in bleak British drama with a touch of crime. 6/10

A Simple Favour - A single mum makes a new friend who then disappears, she tries to find out what happend in twisty comic drama thriller type thing. A bit too long but I enjoyed that 7/10

Assasinaion Nation - Four girls fight to survive after a hacker starts exposing people's secrets and things get out of hand. Extremely out of hand in satire action thriller type thing. I enjoyed that although it won't be to everyone's tastes 7/10. Although it will be to more people's tastes than.......

The Greasy Strangler - A gross father and son live together and do bullshit music tours, they fall for the same woman. Oh yeah and also, at night the father covers himself in grease and murders people. This can be a difficult watch, it's not so much the bad acting, absurd plot, and weird dialogue as the ugly people in bad clothes, the nudity, the horrible music, and the grease. If you've ever found yourself watching early John Waters or Troma films and thought 'I wish this was a bit more disgusting' then this might be for you. Er I'll go....er 6/10? maybe. It's hard to say. Although I would like someone to watch it.

Right, I'm off to download Night of the Comet'.....

On 10/8/2019 at 8:41 AM, Art Vandelay said:

Right, I'm off to download Night of the Comet'.....

In reality The night of the comet is probably only a 5 or 6 but I thought it was hilarious.  Go in with your expectations low.

The Greasy Strangler looks superb, almost as good as The night of the comet. 

Mechanic: Resurrection - Wow that was worse than i thought it would be and i thought it would be pretty bad. Still a few passable action scenes. The Stath doing his stuff again in this sequel. 3/10

Zombieland - Enjoyed this, good laugh. "Zombie Kill of the Week" and Bill Murray steal the film despite barely being in it. Looking forward to the sequel out soon. 7/10

4 Lions - Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread i think. Comedy about some suicide bombers by Chris "Brass Eye" Morris. I enjoyed this as well. 7/10

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - Think this was mentioned earlier as well. A teenage boy is forced by his Mum to befriend a girl who has just been diagnosed with cancer. I enjoyed this one too. 8/10

On 10/18/2019 at 9:34 AM, Random Task said:

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - Think this was mentioned earlier as well. A teenage boy is forced by his Mum to befriend a girl who has just been diagnosed with cancer. I enjoyed this one too. 8/10

That would have been me. Four Lions too. So while you're taking my advice, can I temp you with The Greasy Strangler?

I've seen....

Sorry To Bother You - Weird comic satire type thing. I couldn't really get into this so when it took a weird turn in the second half I wasn't really involved enough to go with it but it was interesting, original, and I wanted to like it so I'll go 7/10.

Widows - Remember the Linda La Plante crime drama 'Widows' from the 80s? Vaguely? Ever thought 'they should do a film of that'? No, me neither but they have. It was quite good but but I just couldn't get into it. Felt like it would have worked better as a tv series to be honest. 6.5/10

Searching - I don't like to reveal too much plot from films but as they've kind of done it themselves with the title I'll make an exception....A father looks for his missing daughter in computer based drama. The whole thing is shown from his perspective looking at a monitor, apart from the times when it's not which undermines the concept a bit.  It's fine. I'll go 5.5/10

Edited by Art Vandelay

On 10/22/2019 at 8:45 AM, Art Vandelay said:

That would have been me. Four Lions too. So while you're taking my advice, can I temp you with The Greasy Strangler?

i'll keep an eye out for it (I still live in the dark ages without netflix etc... so only really watch movies either at the cinema or recorded from TV) :)

Wild Card - Another terrible film from The Stath. This one promised loads of fight and action scenes but was actually about 95% watching the poor bloke try and act moody. A bodyguard for hire in Vegas ends up going up against a mobsters son. 2/10

Bad Times At El Royale - Really liked this. 4 people check in to the El Royale hotel, no-one is who they seem to be in this old fashioned style mystery thriller set in the 70's. Loads of twists and turns, it was written and directed by Drew Goddard who did Cabin In The Woods. 9/10