Sign in to follow this  
Random Task

Recommend a film

Solo: A Star Wars Story - i enjoyed this. Not a lightsaber in sight but somehow still very "star-wars-ey". Tells the story of how a young Han Solo turns into the smuggler from the main film. The guy who plays Han did a really good job. 8/10

Saw this today and would second your rating. Good to see the full story behind those throwaway references in the original films to the Kessel Run and Han having won the Millennium Falcon in a card game. Alden Ehenreich was cast perfectly as a young Han, as was Donald Glover as young Lando. Woody Harrelson and Emilia Clarke (Daenerys from Game of Thrones) also play very believable characters.

To some people the various prequels explaining the history of Star Wars mean more than actual history!

I loved Star Wars as a kid but found the 1-3 so awful I haven't been able to bring myself to watch The Force Awakens. The Phantom Menace has got to be one of the most depressing things I've ever watched :thumbsdown_still:

Thoroughbreds - Two girls rekindle a friendship and plot to solve a problem in blackly comic crime drama thriller type thing. I'm enjoying the work of Olivia Cooke, that's the third thing I've seen her in recently and shes always been good 7/10

Nowhere - No. 1/10

Thoroughbreds_%282017_film%29.png

Filth - Based on an Irvine Welsh book, it's all a bit weird. Fucked up and nasty cop James McAvoy wants a promotion and sets about fucking up his colleagues to climb the ladder and win it. 5/10

The Spectacular Now - Extrovert on the rebound meets introvert and they start a romance. Some teenage angst happens along the way. 5/10

Edited by Random Task

Rust and Bone - French film in which a woman loses both her legs in a work accident and starts an unlikely friendship with a bouncer that once saved her from a bar fight. Very good. 8/10

Horns - Harry Potter's girlfriend is murdered and he's the prime suspect. After a drunken outburst against "God" he grows horns and strange powers which he uses to exact vengeance and try and find the truth. Not really anything new, but it was alright. 6/10

I downloaded a film called 4 lions and I thought it would be about football

it is a comedy about suicide bombers in England :thumbsdown_still:

I downloaded a film called 4 lions and I thought it would be about football

it is a comedy about suicide bombers in England :thumbsdown_still:

Did you not like it? I love that film.

I'm going to assume that was a feeble joke from ER and he knew what it was really but yeah, Four Lions is really good. If you haven't watched it you should - it's got Julia Davies in and everything :)

On the subject of football films, has anyone seen Shaolin Soccer? I stumbled on it around Christmas and it looked sort of brilliant*.

The Devil's Candy - A family move into a new home. There's something quite bad about it in horror thriller type thing 6/10

Heartless - A young man discovers there are demons on the streets of London or something in weird fantasy horror fairytale type thing. Some people will really like this. But most won't. I'll go 6/10

*and also kind of terrible

Edited by Art Vandelay

I watched Shaolin Soccer but it must have been about 15 years ago. If i remember correctly a guy and his team uses (highly exaggerrated) kung fu skills to win at football, eg spinning kung fu kicks but to a football. Something like that anyway. It was strange and i don't remember much about it but i don't think i hated it. The guy that made it released another film a few years later called Kung Fu Hustle which was similar i think.

What We Do In The Shadows - Mockumentary about 4 vampires living together in New Zealand. A camera crew follows the vampires about as they live their daily lives (after they wear crucifixes and get a promise they won't be eaten of course) and shows the drawbacks and advantages of being undead. A lot of fun this, enjoyed it a lot. 8/10

I liked 'What We Do in the Shadows' too. I've got 'Hunt for the Wilderpeople' by the same guy waiting to see, which also comes with the Cheswick recomendation, so I'll go in with high hopes.

F - Low budget British horror thriller type thing set in school. A kind of poor man's 'Them'. A bit rubbish. 4/10

True Story - A journalist meets with a man in prison accused of murdering his family and agrees to write his story in mystery drama type thing. 7/10

What we do in the shadows and Hunt for the wilderpeople are great. Thanks for reminding me, I'm going to watch them both again.

Survivors Guide to Prison. Brilliant documentary the prison system in the US.

Hah, i thought i was recommending a little known indie film and every bugger has already watched it.

Deacon: I think we drink virgin blood because it sounds cool.

Vladislav: I think of it like this. If you are going to eat a sandwich, you would just enjoy it more if you knew no one had fucked it...

:D

I'll have to keep an eye out for Hunt for the Wilderpeople. I have got "Boy" recorded which is by the same guy but i've not watched it yet.

The Martian - I think this would have been excellent if it wasn't so long. As it was though i still liked it, it reminded me of Cast Away with Tom Hanks. Anyway, a crew on Mars have to make a quick exit and accidentally leave an astronaut behind, he has to survive until he can be rescued. It does drag on a little but there is a good story there with some unexpected humour as well. 7/10

Chuck and Dale vs Evil, horror comedy type of deal, I liked it, 7.5/10.

The Limehouse Golem, 8/10

Circle, a bunch of people stand around in a circle debating who should die first, 5/10

How it Ends, end of the World type deal, 5/10.

The Incredibles 2, more of the same, 7/10.

Edited by Charlie Cheswick

I tried that Limehouse golem but couldnt get into it. Will give it another go then

I grew up in Limehouse 😎

Edited by E R

I tried that Limehouse golem but couldnt get into it. Will give it another go then

I grew up in Limehouse

It wasn't really my type of thing either but if you like crime dramas with twists it might be for you. I just thought it was better than most.

I liked Golem.

Happy Death Day - It's basically Scream meets Groundhog Day. There's nothing original about it, the horror part is a bit feeble, and some things don't really make sense, but despite that I still quite enjoyed it. I'll go 6.5/10

Game Night - The Game as a comedy type thing. There are some decent laughs but it gets increasingly tiresome as it goes along. Like a lot of comedies it's more enjoyable before the main plot kicks in, and it's too long but just about enjoyable enough. 6/10

Antman and the Wasp - Quite enjoyed this one, way more than the first. Quite funny too. 7/10

The Predator - I generally enjoyed the other Predator films (i haven't seen the AvP ones though) but this was a load of rubbish. It didn't make any sense at all, and that might have been OK if the action held up but that was rubbish and didn't make much sense either - eg. Predator kills everyone in the room with ease except major character, who he just leaves alone, no explanation why. If you get an itch to see this just rewatch the Arnie one again. 1/10 (because i don't like giving zero's).

Mission Impossible: Fallout - All the usual stuff from MI films, great action and stunts, good fun. Another great addition to the series. 8/10.