Sign in to follow this  
Random Task

Recommend a film

Dunkirk i saw about a month ago. Incredible film. No pc nonsense like Atomic Blonde(Random has horrible taste in films and should be barred from reviewing film on this forum).

Dunkirk should be shown in ALL UK schools....

8.5 out of 10...

Edited by the_saurus

I'll have you know I have the best taste in films of anyone I know Saurus... well I do own the Van Wilder trilogy on DVD but apart from that!!

Out of interest, how is Atomic Blonde "pc"?

Get Over It - One of those American Pie type comedies from the early 2000's, it's very loosely based on Midsummer Night's Dream story. A few laughs I suppose after a couple of drinks, mainly at the quite terrible "british accent" one of them has. 4/10

Age of heroes. Danny Dyer and Sean Bean. 7.5/10. British war film with low budget so kept real, unlike Hollywood bollocks.

I read somewhere Sean Bean has had more onscreen deaths than any other actor B)

In Order of Disappearance - Darkly comic Norwegian crime drama/thriller. A father seeks revenge on a ganger for the murder of his son, things escalate from there. Things escalate quite a lot. 7/10

Livid - A woman in a coma has hidden treasure in her house. Or possibly there's something more disturbing, it's one or the other..... French arty horror fairytale sort of thing 6/10

The Stanford Prison Experiment - Drama based on a real experiment from the 70s where a bunch of students are put in a prison situation and randomly allocated roles as guards or prisoners. I'd read about this before so knew roughly what was coming, but I'll pretend I didn't and go 7/10

Alien Covenant - I'm a fan of the "franchise", enjoyed Prometheus (I know it had it's critics) and I thought this latest offering was very good. Some bits that didn't quite add up and all geared up for another follow up film to be made. I'm giving it a solid 9/10

Yeah, the original is a much better film. Even with the cat scene t09037.gif

There's a good comparison/explanation of the difference type thing here:

Philomena - A journalist helps a woman track down the son she was forced to give up in fact based British drama. I liked that and it was funnier I was expecting. Art awards 8/10

Amores Perros - Mexican drama where three seperate stories come together linked by a car crash, and dogs. I'll go 7.5/10

Yeah, the original is a much better film. Even with the cat scene t09037.gif

There's a good comparison/explanation of the difference type thing here:

Philomena - A journalist helps a woman track down the son she was forced to give up in fact based British drama. I liked that and it was funnier I was expecting. Art awards 8/10

Amores Perros - Mexican drama where three seperate stories come together linked by a car crash, and dogs. I'll go 7.5/10

After watching that I realized I got my scores horribly wrong, the US version was shit. It's on a par with other abysmal sequals/remakes such as An American Werewolf in Paris and Jaws 3D. Let the right one in though is great. Something that isn't mentioned is the vampire has questionable gender and started life as a boy, the second film with pretty every other part of the story, ditches this.

Spotlight. True story about the Boston herald (the American one not the Lincolnshire one), uncovering noncey priests in the Catholic Church. Only watched it for the chance of seeing some god botherer getting his head stoved in along the line, but it was just constant yapping

Just watched this, really good, 9/10 also.

Just watching this on Netflix - unfucking beleivable 9/10

Room - A woman raises her son in the single room where they're kept prisoner. 8.5/10

Zero Motivation - A group of female soldiers count down the days of their military service in quirky Israeli comic drama 6.5/10

Pet - That musician guy from Lost tries to 'save' a woman in horror thriller type thing. Best not to know anymore going in, It's not great so you need all the surprises you can get. 5/10

Easy Money - Swedish crime drama/thriller 7/10

After watching that I realized I got my scores horribly wrong, the US version was shit. It's on a par with other abysmal sequals/remakes such as An American Werewolf in Paris and Jaws 3D. Let the right one in though is great. Something that isn't mentioned is the vampire has questionable gender and started life as a boy, the second film with pretty every other part of the story, ditches this.

Mate what is the good one to watch I cant work out it out from your message?

Mate what is the good one to watch I cant work out it out from your message?

Ah, Let the right one in. It's subtitled though so if you can't be doing with that avoid. Let me in is in English but it's shit anyway so avoid!

live by night with and by Ben Affleck.

Prohibition gangster film. I liked it - 7.5/10

Thor: Ragnarok - Very funny but also very silly. A lot different to all the other Marvel movies, it's played more for laughs than anything else. Thor's evil sister reeks havoc on Asgard. 7/10

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - Really enjoyed the first one, this one isn't as good but still fun. Perhaps for the American audiences they swiftly kill off most of the English "Kingsmen" and so the remaining few have to go to the American "Statesmen" for help. Quite amusing role for Elton John playing himself. 7/10

The Theory of Everything - Stephen Hawking biopic. This was really good. 8/10

The Room - "You're tearing me apart!!!!" lol :) I finally watched it, mainly because I fancied watching The Disaster Artist coming out soon rather than any specific badgering from Art. As promised though it was gloriously, and hilariously, terrible. Please go and watch it! -10/10

The Room - "You're tearing me apart!!!!" lol :) I finally watched it, mainly because I fancied watching The Disaster Artist coming out soon rather than any specific badgering from Art. As promised though it was gloriously, and hilariously, terrible. Please go and watch it! -10/10

Finally! Someone's watched it! That's one down, I won't relax until I've got at least five people off here to see it. If you're watching a film and you haven't yet seen 'The Room' you're missing an oportunity and just wasting your time. It's a guarateed minus ten out of ten.

RT, I also recommend, if that's the right word in this situation, 'Birdemic'. It lacks some of the random accidental laughs of The Room but the acting, dialogue, and direction are worse and there are even some special effects to enjoy.

Prevenge - Low budget pregnacy based horror comedy from Alice Lowe. A pregnant woman goes on a revenge and baby based killing spree 6.5/10

Baskin - Turkish fantasy horror type thing, A group of policemen respond to call, it turns out they're going to hell? Or something like that. Good style about it in a disturbed fantasy kind of way. Some people will love this. Most won't. This is nicely done if you're into this kind of thing but I'll go 5.5/10

Triple 9 - Crime drama thriller type thing. This seems like it's going to be good but it just isn't, It's got all the ingredients of a good crime police drama but but I just couldn't care about anyone or what was going to happen. Less than the sum of it's parts and too long. Disappointing 5/10

Edited by Art Vandelay

Raw - French horror drama type thing. A young vegitarian woman training to become a vet develops a taste for meat. This won't be to everyone's taste but it was to mine so I'll go 7.5/10

Black Mountain Poets - British comedy drama type thing. Two sisters assume the identities of two renowned poets at a poetry retreat for little reason. I suspect this was largely improvised, by that I mean it seems a bit amateurish not funny enough 5/10

The Living Dead Girl - 80s French horror drama type thing. A dead woman is brough back to life when two oafs spill toxic waste on her, because that can happen. I've mostly forgotten it already 3/10

The Girl on the Train - A woman becomes involved in a missing persons investigation in mystery drama thriller type thing. There's something lsightly annoying about this but I won't go into it for spolier reasons and can't be bothered reasons. For that a half point deducted. Art awards 6.5/10

Edited by Art Vandelay

Botched - Stupid crime caper turned horror comedy type thing. Everyone does bad Russian accents which is distracting because if they're speaking Russian why can the American understand everything and if they're speaking English, why do they talk like that when there's only Russians present? Anyway I wouldn't worry about it because Art awards 3/10

The Edge of 17 - coming of age comedy drama type thing with the girl from True Grit. I enjoyed that 7/10

Get Out - Horror drama mystery type thing. A black guy goes with his white girlfriend to visit her parents. Best not to know any more going in. The ending was a little disappointing after such a good build up but I liked it a lot and I'm going 8.5/10

Edited by Art Vandelay

Annoyingly, I watched The Room because I fancied The Disaster Artist and then I didn't get a chance to see it at the cinema before it stopped showing. Anyway:

Justice League - Not terrible for a DC movie but still not that great. The problem is that you don't need a team of superheroes when you have Superman, he can sort it on his own :) Anyway Batman and Wonder Woman assemble a team of reluctant heroes (they literally repeat the same "I don't want to join your team" scene several times in the movie) to save the world from some bloke with some boxes. 6/10

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - I love Star Wars and loved this latest episode. Funny, great action while also keeping with the traditions of the series. I really don't understand what all the hate is about :) 9/10

The Greatest Showman - I had somehow missed that this was a musical before I went in so that was a bit of surprise when it opened on a song and dance number :) It was good in the end still, a fictionalized "true story" of how P T Barnum created his circus. 7/10

Wild - A woman has mental breakdown when her Mom dies and marriage falls apart and so decides to hike the 1100 miles of the Pacific Coast Trail even though she has no hiking experience. Another "based on a true story" movie, it was a bit rubbish though. The shots of the PCT are awesome and I can imagine how hiking it on your own could be a life changer but the film doesn't really show how that happened very well. It does have Reese Witherspoon's tits though... 5/10

Spotlight - Journalists investigate child abuse and cover up in the Church in true story drama. That was good. 8/10

Manchester by the Sea - A man is aksed to look after his nephew in grief themed drama. That was good. 8.5/10

Well, that's a first for me on here - three 8s in a row. Let's see if we can make it four. I'm going with 'Hardcore Henry' or 'Nude for Satan', fingers crossed......

Edited by Art Vandelay

Oasis: Supersonic - Documentary of the beginnings of Oasis and their rise up to the Knebworth concerts they did. I really liked Oasis back in the day, glad I never read too much about their antics because they came across as complete pillocks in this. Still enjoyed the music recap. I also found it a bit weird that they stopped at Knebworth when there was a further 9 years until they officially broke up. Anyway, aside from the music it was kinda crap. 4/10

Cameraperson - Another documentary but not actually about anything. Kirsten Johnson has been a documentary cinematographer/cameraperson for 25 years and this is a whole bunch of old, unrelated and unused clips from those documentaries along with some personal footage all put together to form a kind of memoir for herself. It's a bit weird since there is no story or cause to keep up with but still strangely watchable. 6/10

Edited by Random Task