Sign in to follow this  
Random Task

Recommend a film

A Field In England - Another Ben Wheatley movie, thought i'd give it a go since I enjoyed Free Fire so much... I have no idea what the hell was going on in this one though, so much so that I can't even come up with a synopsis other than some blokes wander about a field and a bunch of weird shit happens to them. 4/10

Pirates of the Carribbean 5: Salazars revenge - A long way off the first ones, now Johnny Depp plays Jack Sparrow like an over-exaggerated parody of what made the first movie good. Still the action was fun, and the main bad guy was good. Story was all over the place though. 6/10

A Field In England - Another Ben Wheatley movie, thought i'd give it a go since I enjoyed Free Fire so much... I have no idea what the hell was going on in this one though, so much so that I can't even come up with a synopsis other than some blokes wander about a field and a bunch of weird shit happens to them. 4/10

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to say about that either. It's best summed up by simply listing the imdb keywords - 'occultism', 'vomiting stones', 'costume horror', 'diseased penis'. I think that gives you the gist of it.

You should have gone with Down Terrace instead, it's a low key crime drama/black comedy.

While we're doing Ben Wheatley, I saw High Rise - Things go nuts in a tower block in dystopian drama. It's a good looking film and some people will really like it but I couldn't get into this at all. I'll go 4.5/10

Edited by Art Vandelay

Yeah but i'm still working in the dark ages and still just record movies from the TV as opposed to Netflix type thing or downloading :) A Field In England (and High Rise which I also recorded but not watched yet) were on TV, Down Terrace wasn't. I'll look out for it though :)

Bullet to the Head - Daft Sylvester Stallone movie, he's a hitman who gets double crossed and ends up working with the policeman trying to catch him for a hit he pulled who also got double crossed by the same people. It's very stupid but is fun in places. 5/10

Inferno - Based on the Dan Brown book (The Da Vinci Code guy). Not as bad as I thought it would be having read the book, I've always enjoyed this type of "treasure hunting", solve the clue type movies like National Treasure and this was a similar sort of thing. Tom Hanks has amnesia and tries to stop someone setting off a plague by following clues left behind. 6/10

Edited by Random Task

Wonder Woman - Really enjoyed this, way way better than any of the other films from the DC comics people (ie. Batman v Superman or Suicide Squad). It's Wonder Woman's origin story from growing up on a protected island to realising her purpose. A lot of fun, typical comic book story but well told. 9/10

Baywatch - Yeah i watched it. It was actually a lot more enjoyable than i thought it would be. Was played very knowingly that lifeguards on a beach breaking up a drug ring is stupid and it takes a lot of fun pokes at itself and the previous tv series. It's essentially a comedy, played for laughs, and it is quite funny. Also with a ridiculously pretty cast. 6/10

The Mummy - Takes itself seriously and lacks the tongue in cheek that came with the most recent Brendan Fraser Mummy films. It's supposed to be the start of a new "monsters universe" so later movies like Frankenstein, Dracula etc... will be set in the universe and share characters. As for this one, it was OK. Good action, some great bits in it, just missing something. Still worth a watch though. 6/10

Yeah but i'm still working in the dark ages and still just record movies from the TV as opposed to Netflix type thing or downloading :) A Field In England (and High Rise which I also recorded but not watched yet) were on TV, Down Terrace wasn't. I'll look out for it though :)

Oh dear, you could find yourself watching some right guff like that, imagine having to watch Pirates 5 or Fast and Furious 8? ;)

I was a bit slow to the the download bandwagon myself but in an effort to find something interesting or orignal I found myself almost exclusively watching The Horror Channel and that can't be good for a person. When you find you're watching Martyrs for the second time in a week it's time for Utorrent.

Right I've seen:

Imperium - Harry Potter goes undercover as a white supremacist 7/10

The Skin I Live In - A surgen with a tragic past has invented a kind of synthetic skin and he's also a bit mad, in odd Spainish drama/thriller. This was quite weird and I had no idea where it was going. Which are two things I like so I'll go 7/10

Hounds of Love - A couple abduct and abuse young women in grim Australian crime drama/thriller. Enjoyable is definitely not the right word but there's there's a nice low key real feel about it. A tough watch 7/10

I, Daniel Blake - Ken Loach sticks it to the immigrants ;) 8/10

Edited by Art Vandelay

Adam's Apples - A neo nazi does community service at a church and enters a battle of wits with a deluded priest in Danish black comedy drama. This is by the same guy that did The Green Butchers, which I assume is all our favourite cannibal comedy, and It's got the same kind of humour as that. I liked this 7.5/10

Hick - A teenage girl runs away from home and heads for Vegas. This starts out quite funny then goes quite dark, bit of a fariytale vibe about the whole thing. Art awards 6.5/10

Nerve - There's an online game where people are encouraged to do increasingly dangerous dares for money. Gets increasingly stupid as it goes along and I wouldn't even know where to start with everything that doesn't make sense but it's fast moving and quite short at least 3.5/10

Edited by Art Vandelay

I, Daniel Blake - Ken Loach sticks it to the immigrants ;) 8/10

bastard :thumbsup_still:

Baby Driver - Great film. It's essentially a heist goes wrong film but the getaway driver, called Baby, has a condition with his hearing and listens to music all the time to help it, the movie soundtrack is basically the songs he is listening too and the action is in time with the music. Really enjoyed it, plus it's by Edgar Wright (of Shaun of the Dead etc...) so has some great gags in there too. 9/10

Dracula Untold - Basically an origins story of Dracula, how and why he became a vampire. Not great but I suppose it could have been worse. 4/10

Spider-Man: Homecoming - Enjoyed this one. It completely misses out all the boring "origins" story where he gets the spider bite and has to learn how to use his powers etc... and starts with him already at home with his abilities. Essentially it's just a basic superhero fights supervillain story but told as a coming of age story as well like the John Hughes films from the 80's. Great characters too, really liked the bad guy, and they slipped it into the marvel universe well. Very funny too. 9/10

War for the Planet of the Apes - For a movie with "war" in the title there was a distinct lack of Ape vs Man in this which was a little disappointing. I've enjoyed this reboot though and this is a good film, just from the title and trailer I was expecting something a lot different. 7/10

Philomena - For the subject matter this is a surprisingly light hearted and upbeat film, it's based on a true story. A bunch of nuns in Ireland in the 50's used there position to essentially steal babies from young unwed mums and sell them to American's, back in present day one of these mum's wants to find what happened to her son but they burned records to cover it up and so she gets a journalist to help her. 7/10

I Am Not a Serial Killer - Drama/horror about a teenager who is not a serial killer 7/10

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - Father and son coroners try to identify a dead woman in autopsy based mystery/thriller/horror type thing 7/10

45 Years - An old married couple receive some news from the past as they plan their anniversary in British drama. The critics seem to love this but I couldn't get into it. It didn't help that I found them both quite annoying. I'll go 6/10

Road to Perdition - 30s set crime drama/thriller. Liked that 8/10

Edited by Art Vandelay

The Losers - Naff comic book adaptation, really stupid. I kind of enjoyed it in a leave brain at the door kind of way though. Some elite commando's are set up by an almost Dr Evil style CIA villain and they seek revenge. 5/10

Art i remember you talking a lot about some awful film called The Room. It seems that it got a cult following and there is now a "how it was made" film called The Disaster Artist being released with people like Seth Rogen, Dave and James Franco etc... in it. See trailer in below link.

https://youtu.be/4qab3TMg42k

Edited by Random Task

Thanks, I will watch that. I knew that guy had done a book about it, good that he's getting soemthing out of it now as being in The Room probably killed his acting career for a long time. I'm going to take this opportunity to plug it again........ You often her about things being 'so bad it's good' but they very rarely are, but The Room really is. Everyone should watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NOlzW8hx5A

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore - Comedy drama crime caper type thing written and directed by that guy who's in those films by that bloke. Art awards 7/10

The East - Drama thriller type thing about a woman who goes undercover in a kind of anarchist environmentalist terrorist type group. Art awards 7/10

Live by Night - Prohibition based crime drama. There's a lot going on here and I think it would've worked better as a tv series. It would have been too late as Boardwalk Empires been there and done it now but even so. Watchable enough but kind of felt too long but rushed at the same time. Art awards 6.5/10

XXX: Return of Xander Cage - Exactly as bad as i thought it would be, plus had a thoroughly weird cameo with Neymar (the footballer) playing himself. Some good action scenes i suppose though. 4/10

Life - Set on the ISS they have to captured a probe that has been to Mars and contains samples. 8/10 enjoyed it and even the Mrs stayed awake unfortunately.

Saw that Dunkirk last night. 8.5/10 but take some earplugs. Not cos of the noise of battle, but the soundtrack, it's an incessant racket.

Atomic Blonde - Stylish Spy action film set around the time of the fall of the Berlin Wall. Typical "recover list of agents been stolen, watch out for double agents" storyline but realistic and brutal fight scenes and well told. I liked it a lot. 9/10

Valerian and the city of a thousand planets - I enjoyed this one too. The fantasy world is clearly well thought out and planned, it's looks and feels great, my only problem was casting - Valerian may be in his 30's but he's got a babyface that makes him look like he is in his teens and then there is Cara Delevigne and Rhianna (or however you spell their names) who are just too recognizable and too bad at acting to be really believable. But still once I got past that I liked it and it's worth watching. 7/10

High Rise - Agree with Art on this one... I can see why some people might like it but it's not my thing. Things go nuts in a tower block where a class war starts between the people living in the posh upper levels and the common lower levels. It's all a bit bonkers. 4/10

An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power - Powerful documentary sequel to the original released 10 years ago on Climate Change. Good stuff again, although last time it was really just Al Gore's slideshow... this one was a bit more self-agrandising with him almost portraying himself as the lone hero fighting and putting himself on a pedestal. 7/10

The Hitman's Bodyguard - I enjoyed this but it is all a bit cliche. All the actors basically just put in there standard performances - Ryan Reynolds, Samual L Jackson, Salma Hayek have all done this before, Gary Oldman even reuses his Dracula accent. Still it's good fun, amusing and tongue in cheek action scenes. A Hitman under witness protection has to be transported to a trial from the UK to - i forget - a city in Europe anyway. Worth a watch though. 6/10