Sign in to follow this  
Random Task

Recommend a film

Yeah the soundtrack is great isn't it? Some cracking Moldy Peaches tunes in there, forgot how good they were.

Their lead singer, Kimya Dawson is fucking great. Loose Lips is a corking tune!!!

Loose Lips

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-h07aKVu80Y

The Beer

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vjXGOCyColI

She's a very good lyricist.

Also that song by Barry Louis Polisar (All I want is you) is a cracker, not to mention The Velvet Underground and Belle and Sebastian...

on the subject of French films...

has anybody seen Hidden?

Great Film.

I've seen it but it did my head in, I was expecting more

Controversial, but I thought No Country for Old Men was average. I'm a victim of my own high expectations and listen to too much hype

Control was ok. I'm a big Joy Divison fan. I thought they could have focused a little more on what Curtis wrote about, but hey, apart from that it was a pretty good portrayl

Watched "Death Sentence" with Kevin Bacon in last night; again just ok

I watched Downfall the other night which is a German film about the last few days of Hitler in his Berlin bunker before he killed himself. It is pretty wow worthy. Bruno Ganz is simply amazing as Hitler, for a change showing a human side as well as his evil side. He goes from quietly eating his dinner to going into a full blown psychotic rant seamlessly. It's about 160 minutes long but well worth it.

As a history teacher I think this is one of the best historical movies ever made. Absolutely brilliant and captivating, Bruno Ganz gives an incredible performance that shows both the humane, sensitive side of Hitler and his more psychotic "Fuhrer" side.

What makes it such a great movie though is the fanatacism of the other characters, many of whom want to fight to the death, and its depiction of the utter devastation and destruction of Berlin. Seriously, you wouldnt believe it if it wasnt the truth.

I've never seen a film that captures the feeling of the end of the war like Downfall - well worth watching.

Full Metal Jacket is also superb, for very different reasons. "This is my rifle...." will live with me forever.

Donnie Darko has been my favourite for many years though. Great soundtrack, great ideas and deep emotions - brilliant

I don't know if it's been released in the UK yet but "In Bruges" starring Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes is an absolute must. It is laugh a minute, though it also has it's dark side. Totally irreverant and non-PC and the funniest film I've seen in years. There's also plenty of totty and a racist American midget!!

I don't know if it's been released in the UK yet but "In Bruges" starring Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes is an absolute must. It is laugh a minute, though it also has it's dark side. Totally irreverant and non-PC and the funniest film I've seen in years. There's also plenty of totty and a racist American midget!!

I notice it has only just opened in the UK. Anyone seen it yet?

spanish film 'the orphanage'

creep interesting and a good twist

really good follow up to the 'guys' that did pans labyrinth

If you haven't seen it already, watch Donnie Darko. Twice. Bloody brilliant!

Good film.

My recommendation : American Psycho.

Watched The Station Agent the other day which is a great little film about a dwarf who, fed up with being constantly stared at in the city, moves out to a village for some peace, quiet and solitude. Some brilliant performances, with some fairly big names for an independent film, and it's surprisingly funny as well. It's just a really good film to enjoy.

Also not a particularly unknown film but i recently saw Grosse Pointe Blank again which is a hilarious 80's send up staring John Cusack as a hitman that gets invited back to his 10 year high school reunion, while at the same time trying to do one last job before giving it up. I still love it :) It's got an excellent 80's soundtrack as well.

Dead mans shoes is a great film as is lucky number slevin that was mentioned.

In Bruges I would recommend, some laugh out loud moments and a decent film with it.

Into the Wild - Sean Penn

Class film, got a few Krakauer books but thats by far the best, bizarrly enough the next film Penn is producing is an adaptation of a book called In Search of Captain Zero which I bought at exactly the same time as Into the Wild s over 5 years back.

The Assassination of Richard Nixon is another decent film that Penn stars in, very Taxi Driver-esque.

I am Legend - knew nothing about it, and thought it was pretty good

Diving Bell and the Butterfly - again, didn't know anything about it and thought it was good

Joy Divison - new documentary, thought it was excellent; a must for any fan

I am Legend - knew nothing about it, and thought it was pretty good

Anyone who has read the book will hate it, they've completely changed and 'Hollywooded' the ending rendering the title of the film pointless. It made me quite cross. :competitive: