Sign in to follow this  
Random Task

Recommend a film

The one about a Nuclear attack? I just bought this from Amazon the other day, looking forward to watching it

Yes. It's an immense film. Dated in many ways, but it's very powerful stuff.

Yes. It's an immense film. Dated in many ways, but it's very powerful stuff.

Sweet, gonna watch it some time this week. Opinions to follow....

Yeah, it's fuckin well good. One of the most intense films I've seen in ages.

Ha. Might join CND now.

Just watched The Illusionist

Excellent with a superb twist at the end - what happens is..................

Saw "Hatchet" last night, which is the latest Slasher film (and probably franchise) to emerge. It's the story of a group of people who get stranded in a swamp near New Orleans during a "ghost tour" and are stalked by a killer called "Victor Crowley".

I wasn't expecting much to be fair, especially when hearing it was a homage to 70s and 80s slasher movies, but was somewhat surprised by it. Granted, the killer himself Victor is one of the worst "slasher" characters i've ever seen (he looks stupid), the film is actually enjoyable as for once, it is well scripted- the interaction between the characters (particularly between the two main male characters) is very good, and the timing on some of the jokes is spot on. If you like gore, there's plenty of it (lots of limb tearing!) and of course there's the staple of a good slasher movie : plenty of female nudity!

This film isn't going to win any oscars, but it'll keep you entertained for the duration.

Victor is one of the worst "slasher" characters i've ever seen (he looks stupid),

believe its the same man behind the mask of jason x

believe its the same man behind the mask of jason x

Yep - Kane Hodder - and he also plays Victor's dad without a mask or makeup... admittedly it's not a speaking role, but it's still good to see him back!!

Lantana and Jindabyne. 2 absolutely superb films from Australian director Ray Lawrence. They're a bit short on action i must admit, but they are both such brilliant character studies and development that you'll hardly notice. Both are engrossing stories, well told, well shot and finely acted, especially Anthony LaPaglia in Latana and Laura Linney in Jindabyne.

I watched a French film called Innocence last night which was absolutely brilliant. I warn people now it may not be everyone's idea of a good film. It's positively dawdles along and there isn't really any closure. It's about an all girls boarding school where the pupils are seperated from there families and live in a walled off grounds. They are forbidden to leave the grounds or ask about what goes on "outside". I can't really say any more than that. If you like your films with substance and too look good, watch it...

I watched a French film called Innocence last night which was absolutely brilliant. I warn people now it may not be everyone's idea of a good film. It's positively dawdles along and there isn't really any closure. It's about an all girls boarding school where the pupils are seperated from there families and live in a walled off grounds. They are forbidden to leave the grounds or ask about what goes on "outside". I can't really say any more than that. If you like your films with substance and too look good, watch it...

Any tits in it???

Any tits in it???

:laughingsmiley: I guess i deserved that. Reading it back that was a pretty pretentious review.

Saw I Heart Huckabees the other day. Fairly weird film about a guy who visits existential investigators to solve a coincidence he experienced. Not brilliant but worth watching.

Also watched a brilliant film called The King as well which is about a boy (called Elvis) that goes in search of his father that abandened him and his mother and is now a preacher in a US town. Awesome movie.

you lot watch some right chick flick movies, watch irreversible, its a classic...

Are you talking about the French film thats told in reverse where Monica Bellucci's character gets raped??? I've kind of avoided that film after hearing about a few of the scenes in it.

I watched a few good films over the holidays. The Lookout is a great film about a guy who has severe short term memory problems after a car accident and is tricked into helping a gang rob the bank where he works. I had a few reservations about it as it seemed like it might just be a Memento rip-off but it was highly enjoyable in the end.

The Proposition which is a western set in the Aussie outback. Guy Pearce is given a choice when caught by copper Ray Winstone. He can either go and hunt for his pyscho older brother and kill him, or his younger brother will be hung in 9 days. It's a very gritty and in some places very nasty film, but very engrossing nonetheless.

Also another western called Seraphim Falls starring Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan. Neeson is hunting for Brosnan, for reasons not explained until the end of the film, through the rockie mountains and across the desert. It's a bit of a dodgy ending, but that doesn't spoil a great film though.

Excellent French film worth watching called "Tell No One". Briliant plot, excellent twists keeps you guessing - wonderful soundtrack as well

8 out of 10

I watched Downfall the other night which is a German film about the last few days of Hitler in his Berlin bunker before he killed himself. It is pretty wow worthy. Bruno Ganz is simply amazing as Hitler, for a change showing a human side as well as his evil side. He goes from quietly eating his dinner to going into a full blown psychotic rant seamlessly. It's about 160 minutes long but well worth it.

I watched "Shoot Em Up" last night, wasn't expecting much from it but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. :thumbsup_anim:

Now this film is not going to win any Oscars, and isn't going to solve and questions you've longed to know the answer to, it's just pure action with a touch of black comedy and tongue and cheek thrown in for good measure.

It tells the story of a man "Smith" played by Clive Owen, who walks into the middle of a "hit" on a pregnant woman, and ends up trying to protect the baby for the rest of the film. The action scenes are great, but as I said completely over the top, which is what makes it so good in my opinion... there were scenes that were so implausible as to make me laugh out loud (and that's the idea of the film- it's not trying to take itself seriously)

It also has Monica Belucci wearing very little for the majority of the film which also adds to its charm ;)

I watched "Shoot Em Up" last night, wasn't expecting much from it but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. :thumbsup_anim:

Now this film is not going to win any Oscars, and isn't going to solve and questions you've longed to know the answer to, it's just pure action with a touch of black comedy and tongue and cheek thrown in for good measure.

It tells the story of a man "Smith" played by Clive Owen, who walks into the middle of a "hit" on a pregnant woman, and ends up trying to protect the baby for the rest of the film. The action scenes are great, but as I said completely over the top, which is what makes it so good in my opinion... there were scenes that were so implausible as to make me laugh out loud (and that's the idea of the film- it's not trying to take itself seriously)

It also has Monica Belucci wearing very little for the majority of the film which also adds to its charm ;)

Yeah i saw that one when it came out at the cinema and thought it was a great laugh as well. Apparently it was sold to the studio's as "John Woo's wet dream" :laughingsmiley:

Yeah i saw that one when it came out at the cinema and thought it was a great laugh as well. Apparently it was sold to the studio's as "John Woo's wet dream" :laughingsmiley:

That's actually the tag line on the DVD cover!!

i saw shoot em up, thought it was great entertainment.

also, i'm only 21, so there may be some legendary comedy films, but i will definately make the statement that superbad is without doubt the funniest film i've ever seen. absolutely love it.

Nothing will ever be as funny as Spinal Tap, ever.

I saw Juno in December, I wasn't expecting much but it was actually really good.

The Proposition is good, of course it being written by Nick Cave also helps but...I've heard good things about No Country For Old Men

Nothing will ever be as funny as Spinal Tap, ever.

I saw Juno in December, I wasn't expecting much but it was actually really good.

The Proposition is good, of course it being written by Nick Cave also helps but...I've heard good things about No Country For Old Men

I thought Juno was a fantastic film, really funny/sad script and an amazing soundtrack, perhaps the best soundtrack ever.

No Country For Old Men is an absolute corker, saw it 2-3 weeks ago and it's one of the best films I've seen in the last few years.