Sign in to follow this  
Random Task

Recommend a film

A Cock and Bull Story - Steve Coogan in a movie version of the book The Life and Times of Tristram Shandy. The book is basically Tristram Shandy trying to tell a story that rambles off into his own life. It was supposed to be unfilmable but they've done an excellent job. While Steve Coogan starts trying to tell the story of Tristram Shandy it rattles off into "real life" where Steve plays himself and takes some great pokes at himself and certain media sotries about himself. Brilliantly done, and Rob Brydon is great in it too.

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0423409/

Guest Marlon
It's not particularily unknown, but Hitchcocks classic 'Rear Window' is superb. A real suspenseful and fascinating flick.

Agreed. A brilliant piece of cinema as a lot of his films were.

If you haven't already seen them, try....

The Man Who Knew Too Much

Vertigo

Dial M For Murder

Rope

Seven Samurai.

Saw it for the first time a month ago, it was on at the ICA in London. Masterful; a superb story superbly told.

Guest Marlon
Seven Samurai.

Saw it for the first time a month ago, it was on at the ICA in London. Masterful; a superb story superbly told.

Agreed.

I downloaded and watched "Hero" following on from the 50 films thread and was blown away.

What a fantastic piece of cinematography and a must see for anybody.

Oldboy - best film this decade by far (unfortunately Hollywood has decided on a remake :( )

Crying Fist - Boxing Film, with the story told from the perspective of both fighters, makes it hard to pick who you want to shout for!

Yojimbo/Sanjuro - If you liked Seven Samurai you should check out these two (from the same director - Akira Kurasawa).

Hidden Fortress is also worth a look (and if you look at it and keep Star Wars : A New Hope in mind, you'll see George Lucas borrowed heavily from it.) - also from Akira Kurasawa.

They Live - Only for the fight scene adlibbed by Roddy Piper. Hilarious.

Oldboy - best film this decade by far (unfortunately Hollywood has decided on a remake :( )

Noooooooo!!!!!!!! :angry:

The other two films in the "vengeance trilogy" by the same director are also well worth watching by the way. They are Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.

On a completely different tack, has anyone seen an old film called Clue which is a spoof of the Cluedo board game with people like Tim Curry in it?? I recently watched it again and was pissing myself with laughter at it. All must see it :lol:

Agreed.

I downloaded and watched "Hero" following on from the 50 films thread and was blown away.

What a fantastic piece of cinematography and a must see for anybody.

Got to agree, truly superb. If they ever release it on HD DVD it'll be mind-blowing.

Noooooooo!!!!!!!! :angry:

The other two films in the "vengeance trilogy" by the same director are also well worth watching by the way. They are Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.

On a completely different tack, has anyone seen an old film called Clue which is a spoof of the Cluedo board game with people like Tim Curry in it?? I recently watched it again and was pissing myself with laughter at it. All must see it :lol:

Yeah, unfortunately it's being touted around hollywood with rumours of the quite awful Nic Cage playing the Oh-Dae Su role. The other 2 vengeance trilogy films are definitely worth a watch - Sympathy for Mr Vengeance is very slow to get going, but once it does it'll get you hooked.

The other two Korean films I forgot to mention were "A Bitter Sweet Life" which has some great action scenes in it, and will no doubt be remade by Hollywood as well!! and "A Tale of Two Sisters", which is the first horror in a long while to scare the Bejaysus out of me!!

And Clue... I loved that film when I was younger- anything that has Spinal Tap's David St Hubbins is always worth a watch :lol:

Big Nothing

Seemed to get pretty much overlooked when it was released, but I really enjoyed it, Simon Pegg and David Schwimmer

Big Nothing

Seemed to get pretty much overlooked when it was released, but I really enjoyed it, Simon Pegg and David Schwimmer

Was gonna watch that On Demand last night but decided against as i hadnt heard too much about it.

However, to be fair, anything with Simon Pegg has always made me laugh.

Might watch it tonight.

Yeah, unfortunately it's being touted around hollywood with rumours of the quite awful Nic Cage playing the Oh-Dae Su role.

You are joking right?? :X That would be some seriously bad casting!

The Science of Sleep - A guy has problems distinguishing between real life and his dream state. Seriously weird, but brilliant movie by the guy who directed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (another one to watch too!).

Was gonna watch that On Demand last night but decided against as i hadnt heard too much about it.

However, to be fair, anything with Simon Pegg has always made me laugh.

Might watch it tonight.

did you watch it? what did you think too it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455857/

This is on sky premier this week, pretty decent

Only a rating of 4.6 on IMDB but I enjoyed it, I notice a lot of really watchable horrors have low scores on that, I think its just because joe public cant appreciate them :(

How about The Rage in Placid Lake. An Aussie comedy about this son (called Placid Lake) who parents are hippies and he's trying to be "normal". Not to be confused with the naff Crocodile movie... :)

I watched this again last night and i must say it is absolutely brilliant :thumbsup:

I watched a great film last night called Intacto. It's about a world where some gifted people have the ability to steal luck from other people, which is then used to gamble against other people with the same gift. If you get good enough and have enough "luck" to barter, you can play the person who is rumoured to be the luckiest man alive at a game of russian roulette with 5 live rounds. It's a great premise and really well done. I highly recommend watching it. It's mostly in Spanish with subtitles though so may not be for everyone.

Personally i'd never heard of the film until i noticed it going for £2.99 off play.com and decided to give it a go. Always nice when something like that comes off :)

I watched a great film last night called Intacto. It's about a world where some gifted people have the ability to steal luck from other people, which is then used to gamble against other people with the same gift. If you get good enough and have enough "luck" to barter, you can play the person who is rumoured to be the luckiest man alive at a game of russian roulette with 5 live rounds. It's a great premise and really well done. I highly recommend watching it. It's mostly in Spanish with subtitles though so may not be for everyone.

Personally i'd never heard of the film until i noticed it going for £2.99 off play.com and decided to give it a go. Always nice when something like that comes off :)

That's a good shout - Max Von Sydow is great in that film. The scene where the guy is in the blindfolded forest race is class... great cinematography. By all accounts Intacto was originally a comic book, but can't say I've read it myself.

I saw 2 films recently that are pretty decent, and very obscure- firstly "City of Violence" which is a Korean action film about a cop trying to solve his best friend's murder... there's touches of Tarantino about the film - especially the final scene, and the films ends with the best final line ever. Well worth a watch.

The other is JSA (Joint Security Area) which is another Korean film (i'm on a bit of a Korean cinema mission at the moment!) about the demilitarised zone between North and South korea. A north korean soldier is killed in the demilitarised zone and it's about the investigation of his killing, told in flash backs, from different people's points of view. The film was directed by the same guy who did the Vengeance Trilogy (Oldboy etc), and is what brought him to the attention of western audiences.

The Jacket was awesome. Loved it.

2 small aussie movies.. Idiot Box. Supposed to be Australias answer to Trainspotting. not as good as that but not bad. It's about 2 guys who want to rob a bank. It's quite Aussie.

The Boys.. about a guy who comes out of prison and back to the home he shares with his brothers mother. Just about how him coming back affects their lives.

The History Boys

Went to see the stage version of this in Leeds last weekend. Excellent

My mate told me "its about a teacher who touches up his pupils"... that's the only info I had... but it was actually brilliant. Don't know about the film, but the play was dead funny

As for films to recommend off the top of my head,

- Kids

- Big Lebowski

- Chopper

- This Is England (all of Shane Meadows films are meant to be worth watching)

- National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation ... ha ha. Sadly I'm not joking!

Edited by birkin youth

The Outlaw is a good film. It stars Sean Bean, Danny Dyer and Bob Hoskins.

Come to think, try any of flims by Nick Love. The Outlaw, Football Factory, Goodbye Charlie Bright and The Business.